Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder really...checked mine for the first time this season (after they were mounted in springtime), 25psi front, 33psi rear. Last I checked thats no good for the street.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
evilbologna said:
Just a reminder really...checked mine for the first time this season (after they were mounted in springtime), 25psi front, 33psi rear. Last I checked thats no good for the street.
I won't even ask when's the last time you washed you bike let alone lube your chain. You suffer from BADD (Bike Attention Deficit Disorder) seek help ASAP!!!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Seriously. You should check the pressure AT LEAST weekly, or at least before you ride if it's less often than that. Many people check before every ride, too. Glad nothing bad happened.

BTW, proper tire pressure will keep your tire wear to a normal level. Low pressure accelerates the wear.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
orangegilly said:
BTW, proper tire pressure will keep your tire wear to a normal level. Low pressure accelerates the wear.
Thats what got me...started wearing kinda funky. Thankfully that was a safe reminder, rather than something that could've been unpleasant.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I check my pressure weekly but I ride almost daily.

I do a good visual inspection of the bike before I get on it each day.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I usually check my pressures 2-3 times a week, if I have a plug, I check, sometimes 2-3 times a day for the first 3-4 days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
+1 on checking pressure on a regular basis. GF and I were packed for a day trip of 2 up riding just recently. We got up early and I had the saddle bags ready. I checked the rear tire pressure and it was 17.5 and thought wtf?. I then did the visual inspection and found a small nail in the tire. Got the tire plugged from the inside and we took the trip the next day instead :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
I check it every Saturday morning. Its part of the coffee shop, tire pressure routine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I check mine every morning before I ride, and in the evening before my ride home. With the bike sitting in the sun, I often have to let 4 to 5 pounds out before leaving work. I keep mine at the recommended 33psi front, 36psi rear.

·
Registered
326 Posts
merlot said:
I check mine every morning before I ride, and in the evening before my ride home. With the bike sitting in the sun, I often have to let 4 to 5 pounds out before leaving work. I keep mine at the recommended 33psi front, 36psi rear.

This is one hundred percent overkill IMO.

Tire engineers have that factored into the design of the tire.

Set your pressure cold and non sun and leave them be.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mr. Black said:
merlot said:

This is one hundred percent overkill IMO.

Tire engineers have that factored into the design of the tire.

Set your pressure cold and non sun and leave them be.
Maybe, but maybe not. The tire pressure still is cold since they've been sitting for 8 hours while I'm at work, so the cold pressure is now 4 to 5 pounds more than it was in the morning (sun plus ambient temp rise). Without adjustments, I'm essentially riding on over-inflated tires for ~30 miles. Ride to work 3 times a week and thats 90 miles per week on over-inflated tires which can cause uneven tire wear.

I keep a close watch on my tires since my life depends on it, more so than my automobile tires. In that case, I have no problem with being overkill :wink:

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check pressures while you ride?

I am as anal as anyone where checking pressures is concerned, but I would not let air out of a tire that has been sitting in the sun. What happens if you ride through a shady park for a while, and then get out on the interstate where your tires are exposed to the sun again? Are you going to continually check your pressures? Sound a bit extreme?

That's because it is. Set your pressures cold and that's good enough. I check mine before every ride, but the reason is to spot leaks in case I've picked up a nail. If my bike's been in the sun and the tires are spot on pressure then I assume I need to examine them for leaks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
merlot said:
do you end up having to add air every morning also?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
DavidinPHX said:
merlot said:

Thanks, DavidinPHX, for asking. I couldn't think of a way to ask without sounding like I was having a go at him, so I kept my mouth (fingers) quiet...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I check mine cold before each ride,the last time i checked the valve core had worked it's way loose and was leting out a little air,tighten up the core and leak was gone,that's why it's real important to check before each ride.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
DavidinPHX said:
merlot said:

Thanks, DavidinPHX, for asking. I couldn't think of a way to ask without sounding like I was having a go at him, so I kept my mouth (fingers) quiet...
yeah, not trying to be a dick, just curious... :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
DavidinPHX said:
It depends how cool it is in the morning. Cooler mornings I add air. Those are the days I let air out before I leave. During the spring the temperature varied by over 20 degrees (60 in the morning, 85 later in the day), so I added and released almost every ride.

I guess I should have noted I don't add and release air everyday, just on days where the temp varies alot. I do check before every 1st ride, and most of the time before I leave work if I remember. If I use the SV multiple times during the day, I don't check it before every ride.

I suppose you all think it's stupid for me to do that, but it gives me peace of mind knowing I have the correct cold air pressure for a given temperature during the day.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
merlot-- Thanks for responding, and it doesn't matter if we think it's stupid or not. It's your bike, time, and safety/confidence at issue, not ours. At least you're not on the flip side and never check your pressures and then label the tire as crap when you slide/wash out etc.

I'm pretty anal about tire pressure myself (check daily) and am glad there is someone more picky than me... :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
merlot said:
Ride to work 3 times a week and thats 90 miles per week on over-inflated tires which can cause uneven tire wear.

? I don't know how an over inflated tire will cause uneven wear on a bike tire... an over inflated tire will not heat up as much so it might not get as sticky as it should, but I don't see uneven wear and as long as the cold tire pressure is less than the max pressure on the side wall, I don't see any danger of catosrophic failure

·
Registered
613 Posts
RandyO said:
merlot said:
Ride to work 3 times a week and thats 90 miles per week on over-inflated tires which can cause uneven tire wear.

? I don't know how an over inflated tire will cause uneven wear on a bike tire... an over inflated tire will not heat up as much so it might not get as sticky as it should, but I don't see uneven wear and as long as the cold tire pressure is less than the max pressure on the side wall, I don't see any danger of catosrophic failure
Won't more air mean smaller contact patch which would have the center of the tire wear more than normal? I know motorcycle tires are shaped different than automobile tires, but I'm applying my knowledge from that area. Under-inflated tires wear more on the shoulders while over-inflated wear more in the center. A properly inflated tire would wear evenly (assuming correct alignment). Isn't this the same for a motorcycle tire?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts