Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Just bought a 650, and foolishly didn't check the VIN on the bike versus the VIN on the registration/title. Turns out they don't match, and now I'm going through a nicely long and complicated process to get a new title and registration for the bike's VIN. It appears the dealership gave the first owner the wrong bike for the paperwork (or vice versa), and when it came to my state and was registered by the 2nd owner, it was never checked. Now it got checked...after I signed papers.

Needless to say, check your registration & insurance VIN's against your bike VIN. A little hassle now to check and if necessary correct can save you a lot of legal and financial troubles if you get pulled over or in a crash and you're riding a bike you don't "legally" own.

Edit, and yes, it should be check "your" VINs....but I can't edit that now...ha.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
The worst case would be a seller who wrecked his bike, stole an identical replacement,
switched tags and mods over to it, and sold it when he was through with it.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The worst case would be a seller who wrecked his bike, stole an identical replacement,
switched tags and mods over to it, and sold it when he was through with it.
I was a little worried about just this when I found out my 04 N was an S and had a bunch of 06 parts.

Everything checked out though thank goodness. Not a bad practice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hide yo' VINs, hide yo' mods.

Steve - thankfully neither VIN is listed as stolen in this state or the one where it was purchased from. But yeah, that'd really suck when the officer runs the VIN...

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I bought my bike yesterday, I asked to see his DL to check if it was actually the owner. also checked the vin like twice before I bought it. I was paranoid as hell. but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Everyone should ALWAYS check the title to the vehicle before buying. Even from a dealer.

Went through heck after buyign an old 74 F100 to restore. Guy I bought it from never transfered the title to him (he bought it from his father). When I went to get the title in my name, well the fun started. Had to get the guy I bought it from to title it (which he had to get his father to get a new title to fill out correctly), then sign it over to me so I can title it. Nothing like 2 months of back and forth.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carfax, DMV, and local police can do VINs. Police will only know if it was stolen or not, DMV has access to full records in your state (my bike was originally purchased in NY, so my DMV didn't have any records from there). Carfax should have access to all records (including out of state), and yes, they do bikes. They also cost, while the other options don't (or shouldn't).

On this note, I finally got my bike titled, registered, and tagged. I can now FINALLY ride legally.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
A similar thing happened with my KTM 625SMC. I never checked it, and later it got stolen. I don't know if it ever got found anywhere without a plate, but someone else has one - same year/make/model, but missing some frame/swingarm scrapes, in basically perfect shape, registered while i still had mine, in a separate DMV record - with the same VIN.

If I had checked the VIN, I might have gotten the bike back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vinaudit.com was only $1 and it gave me a full report. It showed my bike was first titled in 06 with 2 miles on it. This got me worried because it was an 03. I didn't mention this at first to the seller and while speaking to him, he mentioned that he was looking for an SV for months when he found a dealer with a leftover sitting on the floor for 3 years! and like enrico mentioned, call the manufacturers corporate office and give them the vin. They will supply you with the engine serial number that it left the factory with. Tons of bikes being sold are stolen rebuilds. Its easier than you would think to buy a clean frame and title from a wrecked bike and transfer over all the parts from a boosted bike. When i was searching craigslist a few months ago, i had a few people who stopped all correspondence with me after i asked for the engine serial number. Mind you, this was after 5+ emails about the bikes details and price negotiations.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Vinaudit.com was only $1 and it gave me a full report. It showed my bike was first titled in 06 with 2 miles on it. This got me worried because it was an 03. I didn't mention this at first to the seller and while speaking to him, he mentioned that he was looking for an SV for months when he found a dealer with a leftover sitting on the floor for 3 years! and like enrico mentioned, call the manufacturers corporate office and give them the vin. They will supply you with the engine serial number that it left the factory with. Tons of bikes being sold are stolen rebuilds. Its easier than you would think to buy a clean frame and title from a wrecked bike and transfer over all the parts from a boosted bike. When i was searching craigslist a few months ago, i had a few people who stopped all correspondence with me after i asked for the engine serial number. Mind you, this was after 5+ emails about the bikes details and price negotiations.
I just tried to use that vinaudit site and it asks for $9.99 for the report, if it was only $1 I'd do it but not for $10. Im only doing it because I am curious. I work for an insurance company and can run the vin to check if there were ever thefts or accidents attached to that vin, I did that and found no hits so its at least clean and never been in an accident as far as the vin is concerned, I was just curious. Ah well

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Wish Suzuki would do what Ford (or SVT I guess) use to do. With my Lighting I called them up, gave them the VIN and they sent me a kit with records and a certificate showing build number and whatnot.

I guess volume would be a major factor in that though. My truck is #360

1 - 14 of 14 Posts