Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 SV650X with 650 miles on it. Sunday I installed an M4 exhaust and this morning I did the break in oil change. After completing the oil change I started my 25 mile ride to work and when I got up to about ninety to pass a line of cars my CEL came on. I pulled over thinking it was an issue with my oil change but no leaks and it was still perfect in the sight glass. I get back on and continue my ride, about ten miles later just before I pull into work my ABS light comes on. I started it up and rode to the gas station on lunch and they both were off, get halfway back and they both came back on. The only thing I can think is that the new exhaust might have rattled a ground loose or something. The bike rides fine. I don't want to take it into the dealership to check the code because I'm sure the exhaust voids the warranty. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Is the M4 just the slip-on or a complete system including headers and deleting the catalyst? Does the system retain the O2 sensor?

I have a 2017 Gen 3 with a Yoshi TRS race can (factory headers, cat etc still in place) and no CEL at any time.

The ABS sensor coming on is odd. If possible, I'd replace the factory can / exhaust system and take it back to the dealer to have diagnostics done. If there is a fault with the ABS system then you should get that fixed on the dealer's dime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Full system, no cat but retains stock o2. When I got on to ride home last night just the CEL was on. When I went to start it after I got home all lights were off... I have no clue.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You'd have to get the specific fault code to diagnose why the CEL comes on, I suspect it's to do with the de-catted exhaust making the 02 reading richer than the ECU expects to see, and the ECU can't compensate. In Dale Walker's Holeshot tuning videos, he shows how his less restrictive slip-ons (with no other modifications) actually make the fuelling richer in the mid-range compared to the stock can.

He talks about it starting at around 2 minutes from the start here, and shows how much richer the slip-on makes the fuelling:

Maybe check the 02 sensor is mounted correctly and there are no air leaks around the sensor or at any of the exhaust joints, just to make sure it's nothing obvious.

I would still get the ABS thing checked out while you're under warranty, an ABS problem could be expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planning on getting a power commander and the auto tune kit with the wide band O2 sensor anyways. Do you think that would resolve my issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts