Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a cheap laptop..my other one has been dying a slow painful death. Cheapest new or reliably refurbished....just has to be " normal" size..not those 8.9" little ones.

Links please.

Thanks, DZ

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I currently have a Lenovo ideapad, a little smaller than what you're looking for. On previous computers I've had good luck with Dell refurbished stuff. I did a quick look around and I saw 15" laptops for $500 and up depending on model and config.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
If you're really looking for a high-quality, inexpensive laptop, pick yourself up a used (possibly a lease return) T41-era thinkpad. I have one that I got probably three years ago, and it's been fantastic. I upgraded to a bigger HDD, added 1gb RAM (for 1.5gb total), and just a couple weeks ago had to replace the fan.

I've seen them on ebay recently for $200-300 BIN. And as far as working on them, it's the most user-friendly construction I've ever seen. I found a service manual online, and had the fan out within 20 minutes, having never opened it up before.

It's not the fastest out there, but most of them came with XP Pro, and since they were built for business, they are very durable.

I paid $500 shipped 3 years ago for mine, FWIW, and it wasn't the cheapest I could find.

Here's one with the same exact specs mine had when I got it: Ebay link

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check out Dell's website...they have some decent deals going on. 15" laptops as low as $399, or $449 for dual-core.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys. I am looking in the price range that OG mentioned..$200-300.

·
Registered
49 Posts
^^^ don't go to walmart. They like to sell computers with vista (which requires at least 1 gb of ram) with only 512mb of ram, and processors that are 4 or 5 generations old. Generally with computers you get what you pay for, you'd be better off buying a good used or refurbed laptop, than to buy a new low price computer.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Because people that need their computers to run real world apps can't use netbooks. Not everyone uses their laptop to listen to music, browse the internet, and type emails. Not to mention the excessively small form factor can be annoying at times. Just saying...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Because people that need their computers to run real world apps can't use netbooks. Not everyone uses their laptop to listen to music, browse the internet, and type emails. Not to mention the excessively small form factor can be annoying at times. Just saying...
My laptop is a 9inch. Keyboard has keys that are not small at all.. Well they tried to make the keys as normal as possible. they did do away with the F keys and added a function button to reach them.

They are also easily upgradable. I mean, 2 screws and boom, you can change hard drive and memory. Real easy. Also easy to slip in a backpack and ride. I dont even notice the weight.

And now that there are people that are crazy about hobbies, I browse a forum where people are nuts about these things, and mod them like crazy. I dont even do half of what they do, but I am very happy with this thing.

I was just curious thats all.

Shuluke

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Not that they don't have their place but most are split between centrino processors and atom processors. Neither of which is really suitable for performing work outside the design intents of the netbooks(web browsing, videos, word processing). Not that they are bad but they have limited scope of use. Sounds like DougZ was looking for something more. I personally am entertaining a netbook right now for myself...

Edited...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
^^^ don't go to walmart. They like to sell computers with vista (which requires at least 1 gb of ram) with only 512mb of ram, and processors that are 4 or 5 generations old. Generally with computers you get what you pay for, you'd be better off buying a good used or refurbed laptop, than to buy a new low price computer.
His budget is 2 to 3 hundred bucks.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just want something I can surf with...nothing else. The PC can do all my computer related stuff.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
what's your price range?

Heres a pretty fast one. Core 2 duo, 1gb of DDR2 RAM, 12.1" widescreen, 160GB HD, for $439.99. free shipping.

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=LTPGWE155CN1603

IBM Thinkpad R50 CENTRINO 1.5GHz 60GB 512MB CDRW/DVD 15" XP PRO for $269.00.

http://www.computer-show.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=2432&czuid=1235410758425

The Core 2 one is better to carry around because of it's size, and it's plenty powerfull for less than $450. If you are using it just for surfing the web, then the Centrino powered one is the better choice. 15" beats 12" any day for web browsing.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what's your price range?

Heres a pretty fast one. Core 2 duo, 1gb of DDR2 RAM, 12.1" widescreen, 160GB HD, for $439.99. free shipping.

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=LTPGWE155CN1603

IBM Thinkpad R50 CENTRINO 1.5GHz 60GB 512MB CDRW/DVD 15" XP PRO for $269.00.

http://www.computer-show.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=2432&czuid=1235410758425

The Core 2 one is better to carry around because of it's size, and it's plenty powerfull for less than $450. If you are using it just for surfing the web, then the Centrino powered one is the better choice. 15" beats 12" any day for web browsing.
That second one looks perfect...no issues surfing the internet, right?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts