Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be getting a full M4 system here in the very near future and I know that I'll need to remap the fuel injection, however I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to buying a powercommander??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally I recommend TEKA tuning if there is a motorcycle tuning shop near you with a TEKA box and a dyno, they can remap your stock ecu. I know that some dealerships have the Yoshimura box to remap the stock ecu also but I didn't think they remapped the bike on the dyno with the yosh box, but I could be wrong about that. I think there is another add on box like the pc called a cobra something or other that will only allow you to add fuel. I know that there is possibly another option that I am missing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: Save tons

andyauger said:
Do nothing. Consider the cost vs. the potential HP increase. Factor in your riding (do you ever race this bike?) and see if the hundreds of dollars required are worth it. You are talking about (very roughly) $70 per HP for a total of about 10 HP peak.

Read this article first:
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhorsepower.html
storz said:
So I will be getting a full M4 system here in the very near future....
Good point Andy, but you don't think a remap or other like fuel adjustment is required w/ full sys? Many shops charge $60-100 for a remap w/yosh box, which has been rumored to be not-so effective on the sv's 16bit ecm.

If one installs a full sys, then say $60 for a remap. Later adds airbox mods (K&N, snorkel etc.), then another remap at $60. After 2 mods that require a remap, the TFI practically pays for itself.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for the info, I am going to go with the TFI, once its all installed I'll post up on how it works

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Remap probably needed

If you install a full system you should remap, no doubt. What I'm stating is the unpopular opinion that the pipes and remap are not worth it for the relatively puny usable horsepower gains. If you're competing on the track, that's different. If you're trying to out muscle I-4s, that's futile. It's a considerable investment, approaching 10% of the cost of the bike. In the end if you've got to have those pipes you'd better budget in a remap of some sort.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am getting a pretty screaming deal on the system :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lets not forget the fact of not just remapping for HP but also remapping so the engine is running on the correct fuel curve so it isnt lean which could cause pinging which could lead to engine damage. On the other side too rich..causing the engine to foul plugs...run sluggish and so on. All in all you win both ways....getting max power for your mods..and having a correctly tuned motor therefor extending its life

·
Registered
20 Posts
would the TFI work with a full yosh TRS system? And how would you remap it and know where to dial the TFI in at...just e-mail the company and tell them what setup your running...or just fidel around with it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: Remap probably needed

andyauger said:
If you install a full system you should remap, no doubt. What I'm stating is the unpopular opinion that the pipes and remap are not worth it for the relatively puny usable horsepower gains. If you're competing on the track, that's different. If you're trying to out muscle I-4s, that's futile. It's a considerable investment, approaching 10% of the cost of the bike. In the end if you've got to have those pipes you'd better budget in a remap of some sort.
Yeah, but you only live once. Might as well enjoy it, so spend your cash on anything you want. I know I will. :wink: JK Andy very good points, just didn't want anyone to get confused and think it was ok to do a f/s w/o remap. Afterall, he was asking about an alternative to a PC3, not whether or not a full exhaust was worth cost to hp gained ratio.

·
Registered
199 Posts
MDG said:
would the TFI work with a full yosh TRS system? And how would you remap it and know where to dial the TFI in at...just e-mail the company and tell them what setup your running...or just fidel around with it?
Either, Or. The mfg sends a list of settings for many bikes, and also has them posted in their tech forum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
got dynotuned with my PCIII yesterday and now make 75.1 HP and 47.8 FT/LBs of torque! 3 hp up from the generic map used from dynojet

C

·
0 Posts
can the TFI lean out the mixture, or only extend the pulse-width of the injectors to richen the mixture?

C

·
0 Posts
gahdzila said:
Our bikes run a little lean anyway, and any performance mods like exhaust or air intake will make it run leaner. Why would you want to lean out the air/fuel mixture?
mine was running rich, but it seems to have fixed itself. I pulled the snorkel out of the box, and it started to get a little smokey, then I pulled the restrictor out of the muffler, and all is back to normal, it has awesome mid range, like, I almost pee'd myself when I got into it since it hadn't accelerated that hard before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '06 with a Yosh RC-3 and a K&N. The local dealership where I bought the bike (and the mods) did my remap for free. The guy who did the remap is a very experienced SV guy. First time I rolled into it at about 2k rpm, the front end came up like it never had before. It now will come up with very little coaxing as compared to pre-mod and pre-map. Out of the hole, it made a significant difference. When you're only talking about a 600-700 lbs. average weight of bike and rider, a few additional horsepower/ft. lbs of torque can make quite a difference. I certainly believe the $400.00 I spent was well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think a PC is very worth it. I'm going to MMI right now and in our performance class we took a stock 07 GSXR1000, put a Yosh S/O and a PCIII on it, ran steady state and roll ons on the dyno, then wrote in a custom map on the PC and we saw a 9.3HP gain over stock. On a Dynojet dyno. We made it up to 174.6HP. Being able to select a certain RPM range and throttle position and adjusting the mixture for that specific range to match the needs of the engine made more of a difference than I ever would have thought.

The yosh clicker box can't really map a new curve, all it does is moves your A/F curve, either richer or leaner across the whole curve. We took my stocker ran it on the dyno and it made 72.1, then my instructor came in and helped us out with the clicker box and the best setting we found gave me 72.9HP, not really a noticable difference but we did lean the mixture up to get it there. Stock the mixture was around 12.6:1 the best setting we got ran the bike up to about 13.9:1 mixture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts