Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some leathers. I don't have alot of $$ to spend so what are wome cheap one piece suits. I remember a while back someone had a link for a suit fo 310 or so? Any ideas

Thanks

B

·
Registered
720 Posts
Newenough.com has Teknic Chicane 1 and 2pc suits on sale for 350 right now

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay now I have a sizing Question.   I rented a 48 last track day and it fit, but was a little baggy around waist.  If I but one should I get a 46?  I only measurment that does not jive with me is the weight range.

Size  Waist     Sleeve     Height      Inseam    Weight
46   31" - 34"     36"      5'8" - 6'1"     30"      160 - 175 lbs.
48   32" - 35"     36"      5'10" - 6'2"   31"      175 - 190 lbs.

I am about 180, what do you think I sould go with.  Or should I just wait and rent another suit, a 46, on my next day (Oct.2) and see which fits better?

·
Registered
230 Posts
O.K. So how is it possible that you can spend 300$ or 2000$ on a suit. Are the cheaper suits dangerous?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
B.C. said:
O.K. So how is it possible that you can spend 300$ or 2000$ on a suit. Are the cheaper suits dangerous?
depends on how fast you plan on crashing at :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
B.C. said:
Why can you spend $3k or $30k on a bike? $200 or $1000 on an exhaust? $50 or $1000 on a shock?

·
Registered
230 Posts
OK OK I get it that was a stupid question. LOL! But are cheap leathers in anyway dangerous?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
B.C. said:
OK OK I get it that was a stupid question. LOL! But are cheap leathers in anyway dangerous?
IMO, you get what you pay for. I try to apply this to most things I buy. Especially when it comes to life saving equipment. I don't wear cheap helmets, and I dont wear cheap gear. Usually the more expensive the suit, the better materials are used, and the better craftsmanship help make it safer. I'm not saying a $1000 suit on sale for $500 is bad, but a suit made of goat hide, cheap threads, thin leather, etc is not what I want on my back if I fly off at 150mph, and I've fallen off at that speed before. And there's no difference in a pro racer or an occassional track day rider. Once you suit up, anything can happen to anyone. So I'd research all the brands and models, then pick the absolute best you can afford. If all you can afford is a cheap suit, then maybe wait awhile and keep saving. 8)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
but the lazer is brazillian cowhide. :eek: and only 279.31 from Parts 411. plus 16.60 for shipping. = $295.91

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Brazilian?!? Shee-it! :eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
You want to buy leathers that are put together well... I have seen a few pair of the techinc leathers that have been crashed in and they usually dont hold up as well as other leather manufacturers.
You want stitching that is going to hold up and extra leather in sliding areas such as shoulders and lower back/butt area. Also you want to make sure they have either built in hard Armour or at least a place to put some.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here are some of the main differences you will find between cheap leathers and good ones:

Leather thickness. Just like it sounds. Some suits use thin, cheap leather.

Leather quality. See above

Stitching. Do you want you seam to bust at 80 mph?

Fit . A custom suit will fit right , where off the rack won't for the vast majority of people.

There are other differences, too. Look at it this way. You buy some tie downs to secure your bike and you get the cheap ones they sell at U-Haul. They're only $10 a pair, so you saved $10 right? Well, they don' hold very well and you bike falls over on the trailor. Should have paid the extra $10.

I'm not saying you have to buy the most expensive suit out there, I just think you're looking at it backwards. Find some suits that you would be comfortable trusting your life with and then go find the best price on them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been looking at alot of leathers and I have not seen any that are thinner than 1.2 or thicker than 1.6. In fact most of the $1200.00 + suits I have looked at are 1.2 or 1.4. Which is the same as some of the $300 suits. Now I do believe that you get what you pay for but thickness is an example that I have not seen! I have noticed more armor as probable the largest difference.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
well, if you buy the Agv, buy a back proctector, i don't think it comes with one.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
lkm said:
well, if you buy the Agv, buy a back proctector, i don't think it comes with one.
99% of suits dont come with a "true" back protector

a foam pad, is NOT a back protector.

·
Registered
154 Posts
03AZSV said:
I have been looking at alot of leathers and I have not seen any that are thinner than 1.2 or thicker than 1.6.  In fact most of the $1200.00 + suits I have looked at are 1.2 or 1.4.  Which is the same as some of the $300 suits.  Now I do believe that you get what you pay for but thickness is an example that I have not seen!  I have noticed more armor as probable the largest difference.

Just a thought.
Different kinds of leather have different strengths, so you can't just compare thickness of brand A to brand B without looking at what type of leather they use.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts