Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wilson's leather is having a sale. I got a white leather jacket for 111 shipped. I consider that pretty cheap. No it doesn't have armor but it's leather ain't it?
Everything on their site is being discounted 30% more at checkout, no code required. and if your order is above 100, you can enter 5025 during check out to get free shipping.

Here's the jacket I ordered btw:
http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produ...=3467328&cp=2446814.2013496&parentPage=family

·
Registered
193 Posts
Street Legal presents a distressed leather cycle jacket, perfect for you and your hog.
Distressed leather = soft leather

Soft leather = skin on asphalt a lot faster.

It looks nice, but make no mistake, that is NOT a riding jacket and will not perform like a riding leather jacket. I wouldn't mind owning that as a regular jacket though.

Take a read in this link.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=88332

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Distressed leather = soft leather

Soft leather = skin on asphalt a lot faster.

It looks nice, but make no mistake, that is NOT a riding jacket and will not perform like a riding leather jacket. QUOTE]

nicely put.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
It is leather, but it's not of a thickness that would offer any appreciable amount of protection. Distressed leather is so tearable, you might as well be wearing a sweat shirt.

Fashion leather= .02-.05mm of material
Motorcycle leather = 1-1.5mm of material, seams that are resistent to splitting, and armor.

It's a nice jacket, but not for abrasion protection.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
$111? You could've bought a real motorcycle jacket for that price if you looked hard enough.

Anyway, as others stated, the leather in your jacket will be very thin. Also, probably lamb instead of cow. Now sure if that makes a difference, but I'd rather stick with what everyone else uses. The cut will probably be terrible on the bike and worse in a crash.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Not to mention that a motorcycle leather jacket should be form-fitting to prevent bunching and ride-up in a crash. Fashion leather jackets are rarely so.

As has been stated, the leather abrasion resistance is completely different. The stitching AND thread used are a bigger issue, as it's not designed for any sort of impact other than coyly winking at some attractive specimen across the bar.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Go try on a leather motorcycle jacket and then try on your Wilson's fashion apparel and tell me which one you think would offer better protection in a crash...or I could just tell you exactly what everyone else has already said: The Wilson's jacket will offer you very very little protection if you crash, probably about the same level of protection as a cotton sweatshirt.

I've had my wife pick up my leather jackets and comment on how heavy they are and she can't believe I wear such a heavy jacket but I remind her that it's the only thing between me and the asphalt if I go down. It has to be well made and engineered to withstand sliding across pavement at speeds greater than 30mph or it is pretty much worthless...which is also why they are so expensive.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Go try on a leather motorcycle jacket and then try on your Wilson's fashion apparel and tell me which one you think would offer better protection in a crash...or I could just tell you exactly what everyone else has already said: The Wilson's jacket will offer you very very little protection if you crash, probably about the same level of protection as a cotton sweatshirt.

I've had my wife pick up my leather jackets and comment on how heavy they are and she can't believe I wear such a heavy jacket but I remind her that it's the only thing between me and the asphalt if I go down. It has to be well made and engineered to withstand sliding across pavement at speeds greater than 30mph or it is pretty much worthless...which is also why they are so expensive.
So... you don't just hit her when she talks back? :dontknow:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
holy ****, this whole post has gone from the jacket not being adequate to let's flame grounddevil for his "Wilson Fashion Apparel".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a little. In all seriousness though, I like the look of the jacket and for 110 it's a pretty good deal. I dont have the jacket in hand but when i get it I will post some true pictures and let you all know how it is. I'm also thinking about sticking a thicker leather patch on the elbows as well as incorporating some pocket inside the jacket so I can stick armor in as I please. Has anyone done this? I did my search but didn't really get anything.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Well, as others have said, there's more to a motorcycle jacket than the leather and even the armor.

The cut is different. The arms are usually pre-curved, and it's more form-fitting.

The stiching is more heavy duty, as it needs to be abbrasion resistant.

You could but extra leather on it, and some pockets in it for armor. But by the time you do all that, you could have bought a legitimate jacket on clearance from NewEnough.com for the same price or less.

Don't take this as flaming. Take this as "people with experience told me so". :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts