Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
i have something similar (most likely same knock-off t-rex manufacturer). Not great, but works well enough for me. Still better than the horror freight one i've got.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
I wouldn't risk it
not much risk really, if it fails catastrophically, your bike falls over standing still. big whoop, it's an sv. mine has been knocked down a few times with no damage. if it fails as you're loading, you should be able to hold the bike up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
at the end of the day, a stand is just a big metal lever - as long as the tubing is strong enough and the design is decent I say go for it

I got my rear stand (lockhart phillips) from a local forum - well made works well
I got my front stand off ebay (generic red brand) for pretty cheap. I thought it might not be so sturdy, but it works pretty damn well. I'd also recommend springing for a front stand that lifts by the steering head instead of under the forks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a similar pair of "MJMotorgear" stands off of eBay and have been very happy with them. The two recommendations you'll get from people with experience are:
1. Pitbull!, or it's on the ground! (which is ridiculous)
2. Buy a Triple-tree (or headlift) stand for the front, instead of the stand for the forks. You'll thank yourself when you need to do work on the front forks or front wheel.

Here's what i would buy if i were buying a cheap set right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Motor...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae9ece0ef&vxp=mtr

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
I've been using one of those cheap eBay sets for two years without any issue whatsoever. And yes, I do use them quite a lot.

I buy cheap "OK" products and I can live with that. Otherwise I'd be riding a Benelli or a BMW bike instead of a cheap Suzuki.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input guys keep it coming. I'm open to suggestions beats cleaning a chain without one leaning the bike on the stand spin rear wheel clean and repeat.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
not much risk really, if it fails catastrophically, your bike falls over standing still. big whoop, it's an sv. mine has been knocked down a few times with no damage. if it fails as you're loading, you should be able to hold the bike up.
Dude that's a nutty view imo anyway. I understand what you are saying, but I dropped my bike because my kickstand wasn't all the way down and it resulted in a broken clutch lever that I had just put on, a scuffed slider and I think a dent in the tank.

I'd muuuch rather spend a few more dollars on a good stand than risk dropping my bike again.

For what it's worth, I picked up a Cycle Gear rear stand for like $40 and it is very well made. It's not tank proof, but it's not gonna be dropping my bike, or one that weighs a lot more any time soon. The only thing I don't like is the removable handle that sometimes comes off, but it's not a structurally important part.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
Dude that's a nutty view imo anyway. I understand what you are saying, but I dropped my bike because my kickstand wasn't all the way down and it resulted in a broken clutch lever that I had just put on, a scuffed slider and I think a dent in the tank.
the reason I have an SV (rather than more expensive bikes which I've had and can easily afford) is that it's completely disposeable ;) i really don't care if it gets hurt. If it's a mechanical thing, i'll fix it (usually for like $20, the last 2 drops did nothing to it at all). If it's a looks thing... well i haven't washed it yet in the 2 years i've had it, so the dirt will cover up whatever scratches eventually.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just bought my front and rear stands from them. They worked great when I changed my chain and sprockets out. For general use there fine. If I were going to the track or for some crazy reason putting my bike on and off the stand a dozen times a day I'd opt for a pitbull.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you have a cyclegear nearby, they have sales on their instore brand very often: Trackside. I have both the front and rear stand and have been very happy with it. Very solid construction. I think I ended up pay 70-80 bucks for both on sale. http://motor.cyclegear.com/search#w=trackside
I have the paddock version which I remember only paying 40 bucks for each. It was a few years ago.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think this is a set I bought 2 years ago. A little assembly required. One of the wheels was broken, I contacted the seller and they sent me a replacement wheel in 2 days, no charge of course. I have had zero issues with it.

to pay over $200 for a set of stands is not necessary. And I also recommend buying the set with the front lifting under the triple, not at the bottom of the forks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts