Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have my 2003 SV1000S on it's opti cable and has been fine for ages. However, took it off to charge other bike, and then put it back on again - initially went straight to bottom red mark (desulphate / bad?). Turned on ignition, then off and all ok - went to charge (orange) and soon after two greens = all good. Checked it in morning, still two greens, then the following evening and it's on second mark down - red = "weak". Unplugged, plugged back in and soon back to two greens!!
Any thoughts as to what may be going on much appreciated - new battery required?
Cheers,

Andrew.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I've never used the Optimate, but all these chargers have a lifespan. Battery Tender gives a 10yr warranty, I've never had one last more than 7yrs. You can certainly test the battery. Meter the voltage at the battery at rest when fully charged. Then meter while cranking the engine. You should see ~ 12.5-13VDC at rest and not see the voltage drop much below high 10s while cranking. Maybe the charger went through its testing cycle when you re-installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've noticed with my Optimate that occasionally it gives a false red if the connector isn't quite fully home or if it's wiggled, or sometimes if the mains supply has a glitch on it. Unless you have some other symptoms indicating the battery is weak then I'd ignore it. Check the voltage as previous poster says. Google to find typical voltages with engine off, ignition on with lights, when running/charging etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts