Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jcfuly 1stSpononmhismo7o Satrhf 2edsi:uo38g PMrn ·

just purchased a 2000 SV 650. Rode almost 600 trouble free miles back home last Saturday. The next day, took a short ride. On the way back it stalled at a light and would not start. Was able to hook up a compact jumper pack and it started. Battery was low but charged up and tested well. It ran fine the next few days. Then it started again. I was 50 miles from home and had to jumper it several times until that didn't work and trailered it. The battery was charged, bike started, and voltage was battery only revving up to 7K RPM. An additional wrinkle is that the tach needle bounced down lower and lower and stopped working just before it quit the last few times. I hope that is not something fried in the ECU from jump starting or other issues.
I got it third hand and the two previous owners had put in stock Regulator rectifiers. I will do more diagnosis with the videos and shop manual and am leaning towards Roadstercycle FH020AA Super kit. If anyone has input, insight, experience, it is welcomed. I understand this is a huge upgrade and almost plug and play.

EDIT::: Did some testing. Old meters have ohms, not diode test. R/R tested fine... however, the Stator did not. The three leads coming off at the connector get 3 different voltage readings. One strong, one weak, one very weak. 45V, 30V, 15V at 4K RPM. All showed 0.020 ohm continuity to ground.
My Regulator Rectifier is an older typed marked YHC-054, not Mosfet. May be a good time to upgrade that as well.

thanks in advance.
John

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Does look like the Stator has gone but then if it is original 20 years plus ain't bad :)

My stator reads around 70 VAC @ 4k+ revs.

Plenty of R/Rs around and this may be of interest,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts