Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old charcoal grill and keep toying with the idea of a gas grill out on the balcony. Somehow I keep shying away from going to gas, but then complain about the Kingsford burning up to fast, too many ashes, not enough space on the grill, etc.

Somehow the convenience, (I ran a pipe out under the deck when I built the house, so no refilling tanks) cleanliness, dependability, and consistency of propane sounds great, but I worry I'll sacrifice flavor. Also the gas grill, while just a few steps from the table will be in the sun. My crappy charcoal grill I can put in the shade, in or out of the wind, even in the garage when it's raining.

Let's hear your ideas, opinions, etc. (esp if you went charcoal to gas)

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I like both.

still own my charcoal starter chimney but no charcoal grill.

I just like the convenience of being ready to grill in 5 minutes. Sure you lose a little flavor but you can get a smoke box for the propane grill if you want.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Propane, FTW!!!!

I am biased, though, being in the industry.

:p
You sell propane and propane accessories? Awesome! Lol

I like both though I only have a gas grill for now but it is great for convenience. I've done my share of charcoal grill cooking and will be getting another one soon, there is a certain skill and technique to charcoal grilling that I love. It's been a hobby of mine in the past to experiment with new recipes on the ol' weber and I definitely want to get back into it this summer.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Charcoal for life. It is not very conveniant timing wise but the flavor boost is worth it. Especially if ya throw in some hickory or other various wood to smoke up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gas is the way to go. Being able to control the amount of heat on your meat is the key to being the grill master. Quick start up and shut down. Charcoal is good when you don't have the convience of gas. Plus you said it's already stubbed out for you. Go to gas.

Plus the different racks you can add, or even a rotisserie.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Of course. Hickory + charcoal trumps hickory + gas.
And I won't argue this. I just like goin, ya know? I feel like some grilled hotdogs... hard to justify the charcoal process for a couple charred weiners.

Fixed that for you.

Gas is for p|_|ssies. Real men cook with charcoal.
Hard to use charcoal on an apartment balcony, just sayin.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Charcoal is better, but get rid of that Kingsford crap if you're using Match Light and not the regular briquettes. And don't use lighter fluid, use a chimney starter.

For convenience with all the flavor, gas + charcoal is the best--gas to start the coals and get them perfect. Once you learn how to build a single and two-level fire and get the temperatures correct, it's easy.

I just use my Lil' Smokey and chimney starter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have been grilling longer than some of the people who answered your post have been alive. In the summer I rarely even turn on the stove, there is'nt anything I can't do On my gas. The catch is, you need to spend some decent Money to get a gas grill that works worth a Sh!t. The cheapies will leave you burnt and unsatisfied, not the case with charcoal. You do not have to spend a lot to get a decent charcoal weber. So if you can afford a good gas grill (300-400 minimun, and read reviews) you will NEVER turn back.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
meh, my $80 charbroil makes a hell of a steak.

high dollar grills are just easier and more consistent. Mine's kinda like cookin with coal now that I think about it... ;D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts