Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i finally got into the brakes this sunday morning and all was going as planned until i began to put the new brake pads on and noticed that the rear brake caliper piston is not returning to its "seated" position, hell i dont even know what seated is, the thing is like 2/3's the way out and when i press the lever it will "increase" but doesnt seem to want to return to its original position.

if at this point i need to dissect the caliper do i disconnect it from the brake hose and drain all the fluid? (just friggin bled my brakes not too long ago)

edit: im looking at diff tips here for diagnosing a stuck piston and alot of folks are mentioning to check the "return line" in the master cylinder? Im not too knowledgeable about the hose, inside of the hose are there two lines one feeding and one returning?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the same problem, i took off the rear brake resevoir cap and pushed on the pistons slowly with my hand. Too fast will spew brake fluid everywhere. But it allows for the fluid to rise in the resevoir so there is room for the pistons to be pushed back.... basically right now you are fighting the hydraulic vacum that is created in the lines.

My guess is that the brakes were bled when the pads were almost done which created a tighter and better seal of the brakes. A good thing, unless you want to change the pads as you are now.

Hopefully this helps, im no expert but it worked for me. :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You are using Channel Locks, big pliers, or a C-clamp to push that piston back in right?

I wouldn't touch the lever AT ALL, that piston comes out and now you're doing alot more work.

Push the piston back in with 1 of the 3 tools above, then if theres too much fluid in the reservoir, bleed the rear brakes a few times AFTER everything is all put back together. That will lower the brake level a little bit but if it goes too far you'll have to fill it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You might also have to take off the reservoir cap, but not likely. Chances are you just have to use channel locks to push that piston all the way in.

Don't touch that lever though until its all put back together.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i ended up running to the store and getting a c-clamp and pushed the piston all the way back in.
it took 3 good turns and 2 of them i heard "air" coming out of somewhere then the 3rd and final push i hear air and fluid bubble.

everything is put on and back together but im worried, did forcing the air out fix the problem
or , the first time i push my brake is it going to go back to the same position and rub the pads down again.

it took less than 3,000mi to ruin the first set of pads, how will i know if the piston is stuck again without removing the whole caliper assembly and inspecting.
i usually cant tell just from looking at it. should i feel a "return" of the lever under my foot as an impression of whether the lever is functioning properly?

i took the lever assembly apart just the other day and cleaned/lubed the return spring and bolts etc. but it did not make alot of difference.
there is still some light play albeit much less than before where the lever meets the peg assembly. the tech who last did the brakes said it needed to be shimmed but i dont see that as being the sole problem as to why my piston isnt returning to its dis-engaged position

edit: now that i've clamped the piston and forced air out of the caliper should i do a quick "bleed or two" on the caliper or is what i was hearing the last of the air being forced out? or was the air not being forced out but actually back "in" to the house/reservoir? thinking about it now it seems that two twists worth of air did get forced into the lines which would prob mean there was air "somewhere" to begin with so a bleed would likely help.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update: i have found that the lever itself is causing the issue. sometimes it springs back into its position sometimes it doesnt. i've already dis-assembled the lever/foot-peg assembly and cleaned/lubed everything and i do know the return spring is atleast pulling the peg back in as much as it can, but 6/10 brake pushes the lever wont return, 4/10 it does, with some mashing involved.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i use a short, Craftsman screwdriver with a 1/2" tip to spread the pads/piston into the caliper, on my 05, the Gxxr fe had a caliper that was dragging, wore out A pad in 8000 miles...with the old pads still in, got the screwdriver out, heard a click, fixt!!! pads were very low as it was, changed 'um, all good..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts