Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was somewhat hesitant to do this, having heard how difficult it is on double-plug design on my 07SV, but I got close to 15000 miles with original plugs. I heard that I could keep them longer, but I noticed some misfires when cold and decided to give it a try...

Actually, it was not hard at all, having all the proper tools. The only mishap I had was dropping one of the plugs down which resulted to it ending up next to the drive shaft sprocket plastic cover, but I was able to get it out relatively quickly...

Now, about the plugs, they looked really good with the exception of the rubber boot on the front cylinder right behind the front wheel, that had some yellow powdering residue, probably from the water getting there when riding in a rain... But nothing special... Far cry from original OEM copper plugs left in a car for 140k miles ( on a Saturn SL )... LOL!

The air filter also looked good at 15k miles and I guess I could go by driving another 5-10K no problem... After all, its a bit more expensive than plugs:)

·
Registered
540 Posts
My plugs are stockers and I'm almost 13k on my bike. Nothing fishy happening yet so I'm keeping mine on! How long did it take you to do plugs? I've never done it before on a bike.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was doing it outside in a darkness with a small flashlight, it took me about 1.5 hours, I would say, but I was not in a rush and it was surprisingly easy. Front plugs are the easiest, rear ones required lifting the tank, but its super easy. I think the tank being half-empty helped too... You will need something to prop the tank with, I just used an empty plastic jug LOL!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I was doing it outside in a darkness with a small flashlight, it took me about 1.5 hours, I would say, but I was not in a rush and it was surprisingly easy. Front plugs are the easiest, rear ones required lifting the tank, but its super easy. I think the tank being half-empty helped too... You will need something to prop the tank with, I just used an empty plastic jug LOL!
There's a tank prop rod in the trunk, its the metal rod with the loop on the end :)

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Maybe you have girly hands and have no problems getting to the front plug, but us real men... :p

You should blow out your air filter for good measure. Get some compressed air and blow on the mesh from outside in. Never blow on it through the inlet hole in the middle-top. If it's clogged, it might not pass enough air, causing some fuel not to get burned, then exhausting it for it to ignite in the exhaust, which might be the pop you hear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts