Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning gentlemen,

I've had yet another brilliant/idiotic idea for my burgundy beauty. I currently have a DanMoto carbon fiber slip-on. It sounds and looks great, but I want to clean up the rear of the bike. So, my thought is, to remove just the muffler and slightly turn the midpipe outward like a GP style pipe. Obviously that will be way too loud, but I'm going to make a baffle (ported and packed with stainless wool), and tack weld the baffle in. I can get about a 6 inch baffle in, which should tone it down to a tolerable level.

If this works, I can remove the passenger pegs and all that BS that is clogging up my rear:naughty:

If it doesn't, then I guess I will just put the muffler back on. I've read several older threads on this, and people didn't use the midpipe so they were not able to put a substantial baffle in, so hopefully this method works, and I'll have a barely used carbon fiber muffler for sale soon! Here's a pic, and feedback is welcomed as I am new to the SV world, but have made baffles for a lot of other vehicles.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hmmmm. Who knows. Will be interesting to see if you can do this. Be sure to post up a write up if ya can

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's the beginning:

I bought a steel drainage plug and took the rubber washers off. The Diameter of it is just a hair under 2" so it fits nice and snug in the tip. I plan on painting the tip black with some header paint I have, so all in all I should have about $6 bucks in it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
:happy1:

This should be interesting.. When you complete it, any way you can get some video with half-decent audio posted up somewhere?

·
Registered
513 Posts
any chnace you will run a dyno to see how much your HP falls off due to no compression? isnt that the purpose of the muffler part? I may be wrong

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any chnace you will run a dyno to see how much your HP falls off due to no compression? isnt that the purpose of the muffler part? I may be wrong
Unfortunately I won't be able to dyno the difference, but I doubt there will be any. I'm not an expert on this stuff and never will be, but I think the baffle, once drilled and packed with wool, will provide plenty of back pressure. I read an article in Cycle World that did a similar test with multiple bikes and said that the pipe itself coming that far from the motor allowed a bike to have ample back pressure. I know it will be louder, and I don't mind that part if it is still at a tolerable level. If its too much, I'll just swap it back and buy 2 less beers at the bar to cover my expenses :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'd think you should have pretty nearly the same back-pressure. Hell, my Yoshi slip-on is short and a straight through- how much pressure would I really lose if it wasn't there? It's not like the pipe going into it is any wider. There could only be a little turbulence from the perforated inner tube allowing some air flow into the glass packing, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts