Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its that time, I've had the bike for two years and i need to change the coolant. The manual recomends a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Well my question is what antifreeze do you guys/girls use, should I just get regular auto antifreeze or is there one that is more bike friendly(prob a stupid question).

Also how much distilled water will I need , will 1 gallon be enough, at 50/50 that would be 2gallons of mix.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You can buy it pre-mixed. I think I just bought whatever was cheap at AutoZone.

N

·
0 Posts
God, I'm suffering from MAJOR brain fade tonight (only partly alcohol induced!), but isn't there a flavor of antifreeze -pink stuff?- that's specifically for aluminum engines?

EDIT: fur spelink

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the pink stuff you mean is dextron, thats what I use in my car. If I can buy it premixed it would be a heck of alot easier.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Environmentally friendly

I've been using propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol for years. It does a good job, isn't harmful to the environment, and is safe for animals (in case of accidental ingestion). Sierra is the brand I use. Remember to use demineralized or distilled water. For the occasional top up, tap water is OK. For a complete refill you want the minerals out.

I can't see paying for 50/50. If you calculate it out that's some expensive water in that jug.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used honda 50/50 premix in mine from the local dealer last month but Autozone probably has some aluminum safe stuff lying around. By the way, when I took the drain bolt out of my bike, antifreeze shot about 3 feet straight out from the bike. It was a little more force than I expected from a cold engine. Be prepared.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I am looking for stuff for aluminum blocks? I think I will go the 50/50 premix stuff from a dealer, i know it will prob. cost twice as much but I just want to get it done not mess with mixing and such.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You're looking for ethylene glycol. Or you can give that stuff Andy mentioned a try. I think I bought a gallon of 50/50 for $5-$10.

·
Registered
109 Posts
PGHRIDER said:
Also how much distilled water will I need , will 1 gallon be enough, at 50/50 that would be 2gallons of mix.
It will only take about a 1/2 gallon. Not much water in the 'ol SV.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I heard water wetter can take 10deg Celcius off your engine temp, is that true?? If so I wouldn't mind changing to that on my next change.

Grav.

·
Registered
102 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
God, I'm suffering from MAJOR brain fade tonight (only partly alcohol induced!), but isn't there a flavor of antifreeze -pink stuff?- that's specifically for aluminum engines?

EDIT: fur spelink
I think anything with ethylene or propo glycol will destroy the battery effect you'll get when you have two different metals in a water suspension. Pure water will be corrosive. Any antifreeze should work, but since I have cats, I use Sierra. It's not so much more expensive for the little I use.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
No silicates

Be sure to avoid anything with silicates in it. This is another of those products where there is very little difference by brand. They are pretty much universally compatible with aluminum engines as long as you use distilled or deionized water. Propylene glycol is a little better at maintaining its quality over time and it is safer for pets and the environment.

Water Wetter is OK, but you need to be careful if you live where it freezes. You need to examine the additives that you can buy for Water Wetter also.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
GraVitY said:
I heard water wetter can take 10deg Celsius off your engine temp, is that true?? If so I wouldn't mind changing to that on my next change. Grav.

:) Water Wetter is great stuff, :thumbsup: It also won't leave a greasy slick, like antifreeze if any gets spilled. I use it all the time.

Have fun, and best regards,

Blair

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
The sv only takes about 2 quarts of 50/50. I just use the green stuff and bottled water. +1 on having a bucket ready when you pull the plug :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Is that "Maxima Coolanol" silicate free?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Word of warning, once you get that nut off to drain the existing fluid, it jets straight out the hole. Made an unexpected mess in my garage when I did it :) As far as what I used, I used a 50/50 Prestone mix that said it was silicate free and safe for aluminum engines.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use the Engine Ice in my SV. Been using it for years on my Yamaha WR426 4 stroke dirtbike. I use it cuz it tends to drop the coolant temp down, which is a good thing here in the middle of the summer in Phoenix. My WR doesnt spit coolant as much now when it gets really hot. The only bad thing is that it is like 20 bucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts