Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ride on the street, really no plans to ever take my sv650 to the track. My question is, after changing the front springs and fork oil will i really notice much of a difference in the handling? i mean, i know it won't dive as much on stops but will it really matter? i have been considering this mod and i am just questioning whether all this talk about the front of the sv being garbage really applies to me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's entirely a preference thing. If you have the means and the inclination, you have many options for altering the performance of the front suspension. If you are satisfied with how your bike's suspension handles, then you're set. "Garbage" is a word I commonly see used to describe the SV suspension, and I don't entirely disagree, because it is low-end, with virtually no means of adjusting it. But, like the rest of the bike, it is fantastic in the "bang-for-the-buck" category. Especially if you're less than about 150lbs. Then the answer to whether it's necessary is probably no. But having the options that we have is one of the things that makes the SV great!

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I just ride on the street, really no plans to ever take my sv650 to the track. My question is, after changing the front springs and fork oil will i really notice much of a difference in the handling? i mean, i know it won't dive as much on stops but will it really matter? i have been considering this mod and i am just questioning whether all this talk about the front of the sv being garbage really applies to me.
How much do you weigh? The more you weigh the bigger the difference will be.

The interesting thing about this forum is that you get a little bit of everyone on here. From people who have never ridden before to racers to stunters to knee blasters to old men who just like to commute. It all depends on what you want to do with your bike. Is the suspension great by todays standards? Of course not, but that doesn't make it "crap".

If your fine with the stock suspension then ride it just the way it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out www.racetech.com and go to the SV suspension page. It calculates your spring rate based on your weight and offers a bunch of items for forks and shocks. I know that I'm about 185lbs and I cannot wait to get my new springs in there.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
You know its done for looks when someone puts GSXR forks on their SV and has nothing done to the internals. ;)
Not at all true. The spring rate of the various year/models of GSXR forks are well known. It's not very difficult to select the year forks whose spring rate is compatible with your weight with gear and then go from there (which matching upper clamp, etc)
Done correctly, the STOCK GSXR forks are light years better than stock SV forks.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Not at all true. The spring rate of the various year/models of GSXR forks are well known. It's not very difficult to select the year forks whose spring rate is compatible with your weight with gear and then go from there (which matching upper clamp, etc)
Done correctly, the STOCK GSXR forks are light years better than stock SV forks.
Spring rates are one thing, valving is another. :)

Not to mention the fact that (at least personally), I'd want to know that fresh oil is in the forks, and the right weight of springs at the very least.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Spring rates are one thing, valving is another. :)

Not to mention the fact that (at least personally), I'd want to know that fresh oil is in the forks, and the right weight of springs at the very least.

Please.

Stock SV forks HAVE no valving and very limited dampening capabilities without cartridges added. I stand by my statement. STOCK GSXR forks are well above and beyond stock SV forks given the correct spring rate.

Also, changing fork oil is a no-brainer that even an untrained monkey can perform and requires no specialty shop or suspension guru to be involved. Again, stock spring rates for the various years GSXR forks are well known.
I am not saying there is no place for worked suspension. I am just comparing properly choosen GSXR forks against stock SV forks...even ones with Springs and heavier oil added in an attempt to restore rebound dampening.

Saying that riders that swap non-worked GSXR forks are doing it for looks is silly.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If all you're ordering is springs, order from Rich at Sonic Springs (he sponsors the site, so help by sponsoring him). Another option for higher end suspension is Traxxion Dynamics--very good suspension work, and plenty of knowledge.
+1 on both of above...Traxxion has been a big SV Rally supporter in the past as well...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok some good responses here. i weigh about 202 w/o gear on. i guess what i'm trying to figure out is will the bike have more "response" to turning etc? i've read that some people ride certain bikes and they say the bike responds "as if it reads your mind" or something like that. is this what will happen if i go with sonic springs? (which seems to be the spring of choice from what i can gather here) keep in mind, NO track riding, NO squirly wheelies or crazy stunts, just backroad mountain carving stuff.

·
Registered
358 Posts
More responsive and more stable into and through corners. I also went ahead and got a GSXR shock for my weight to add to the suspension. There is a stickied thread in the FAQ section that can get you pointed in the right direction for the rear shock. If you PM RichDesmond he will help with the springs setup.

Here is the rear shock thread of user setups, http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=98126&highlight=posy+your+rear+shock+setup

Here is the FAQ of the GSXR and other shock info, http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=45179

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I weigh 240 before gear. I put the Race-techs in the front and WOW what a difference. It got sooo much better. It really is worth the money spent into the springs. The bike feels more planted and stable and really is the best mod you can do for the money, just my opinion though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I weigh 240 before gear. I put the Race-techs in the front and WOW what a difference. It got sooo much better. It really is worth the money spent into the springs. The bike feels more planted and stable and really is the best mod you can do for the money, just my opinion though.
what rate did you use? i'm 240 also

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Because you get the springs from Ohlins then you tell everyone you have an Ohlins front suspension. Cheap bling and street cred, yo. ;D
Forget that, just get some Ohlins stickers for the lower fork tube. It's all internal anyway, who is gonna call you out?

But seriously, front end mods are great but you absolutely don't "have" to do them. I really like my racetech emulators, but I don't need them at all. My riding does not demand the need for better suspension, but I really enjoy nice boingy parts. Also I wanted to rip open the forks and see whats inside (Gold? No.) and I thought I should put something else back in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts