Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my oil changed to i believe 20w40 semi synthetic (sorry paperwork was lost). It was full synthetic. Now for some reason i dont have a cold idle. Is started the next day after getting the oil changed. At start in the morning my rpms go to 1500 and drop to 1100 instantly and stay there. Engine temps are around 77 at start. Occasionally at night when i start it, it will attempt a cold idle but the rpms go up and down irractically for a few seconds and then to 1100.

I thought it might be electronic but i havent added or messed with anything electronic for at least three weeks before i changed the oil and the cold idle was fine.

Maybe its just hot enough to where i dont have one??? I was thinking maybe i need new plugs because occasionally if i dont hold the starter down for a sec extra the engine will start and stall out. Im stumped lol.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Did you replace 10w-40 with the new stuff? It IS a bit thicker when cold which might be dragging your idle down a bit until it warms up. The used oil likely had lost some viscosity too which magnifies the cold thickness properties. The STV sensor along with the temperature sensor control the fast idle so it wouldn't hurt to check the adjustment of the STVS too. But 77F isn't really cold enough to need much additional idle speed so everything is probably just fine if the bike runs well otherwise.:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea runs fine otherwise, i guess next oil change i will go back to the 10w full synth :). Or does it really matter??

·
Registered
238 Posts
make sure you are using oil rated for a wet clutch. if you use non motorcycle oil you can get the wrong oil on your clutch basket and all your plates will slip from being too lubricated for their design. if your clutch basket is slipping from wrong oil in it then it can absolutely make your rpms go crazy. the grip on your plates will not be consistant and as it heats up and thins it out it will subside, but your clutch basket really needs motorcycle oil in it. even in neutral your clutch basket effect rpms. when properly working the rpms should increase a few hundred in neutral when you pull in the clutch handle. and likewise it should drop back down a little when you let it re engage. you should make a trip up to manteca and i will look at your bike with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts