Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Install went ok, but I noticed the stock sprocket had a rubber ring/damper of some sort on each side, and the AFAM 14T I bought did not... I actually tore up the stocker a bit, and it seems as if the rubber goes right through the sprocket, at the very least there is an indentation of some sort for it. Is the new one OK without this? Did everyone's else's sprocket come with no rubber ring as well?

Also, the new front sprocket seems noisier, almost a whirring sound (only when I am on the gas, off gas it goes away). I don't know if its because it is missing this rubber ring the chain sits on, or because the sprocket is new, or what. I adjusted the chain to within specs, and am *pretty* sure my rear wheel is aligned properly!

So I already had a 47T rear, and now with the 14T front, the bike rips through the gears. I am sure I lost some top end, but didn't want to test that out until I knew I had everything assembled properly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As far as I know only the stock sprocket comes with the rubber damper. Mine did not come with one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good to know, thanks!

Did you notice any increase in noise due to the lack of rubber damper?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, like I said I was going easy on it until I was sure it was all proper, but it wheelied pretty well already with the 47T rear.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's a bit noisier, but not to bad.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I take it you never have to go down a freeway?????????????? :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah everyone warned me not to go this short on the gearing, but honestly I am in Vermont and there is literally only ONE highway here. I do take it for a half hour blast occasionally, with the 47T rear it was never a problem for me though. All of my riding consists of backroads and twisty mountain roads, and wheelies when/where necessary.

Currently, 100mph is 8k rpm in 6th. If I can go over 120mph on highway straights I know that I will, that is why I bought this bike vs a liter bike to begin with. I have enough speeding tickets and associated court dates already.

T

·
0 Posts
rwheelz said:
Install went ok, but I noticed the stock sprocket had a rubber ring/damper of some sort on each side, and the AFAM 14T I bought did not... I actually tore up the stocker a bit, and it seems as if the rubber goes right through the sprocket, at the very least there is an indentation of some sort for it. Is the new one OK without this? Did everyone's else's sprocket come with no rubber ring as well?

Also, the new front sprocket seems noisier, almost a whirring sound (only when I am on the gas, off gas it goes away). I don't know if its because it is missing this rubber ring the chain sits on, or because the sprocket is new, or what. I adjusted the chain to within specs, and am *pretty* sure my rear wheel is aligned properly!

So I already had a 47T rear, and now with the 14T front, the bike rips through the gears. I am sure I lost some top end, but didn't want to test that out until I knew I had everything assembled properly.
14,47 is the final drive ratio i have gone for as well man, i know what you mean about it flying through the gears, but i dont think its lost that much top end as the sv doesnt make it to the top of the rev range in top anyway, i think it still hits the same top end but finishes higher in the rev range ( and may get there a bit faster as well), so thats a bit of a bonus really, same top end but better acceleration, i wonder how big you can get the rear sprocket without loosing top end speed?? anyone??

just a thought

trick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahahaa you and I are on the same page... I am already thinking about a 48T rear!But the 14/47 is a winning combo for sure. It doesn't raise the revs as much as you'd think.

·
Registered
326 Posts
What rpms you turn showing 80 on the speedo?

T

·
0 Posts
rwheelz said:
hahahaa you and I are on the same page... I am already thinking about a 48T rear!But the 14/47 is a winning combo for sure. It doesn't raise the revs as much as you'd think.
glad to see were both thinking along the same lines. i think what im gonna do is get a good remap from a really good place i know over here and do a bit of speed testing (on stock 45t) then go up to 47,48,49 and see when i start to loose either top end or lower speed control, you might find that with all the acceleration it ends up doing what the kwaker zx10r does, fly off so fast you cant control it and end up loosing your self time. theres bound to be a happy medium somewhere, i think its just gonna be a bit of trial and error with a decent amount of time in the garage swapping all the sprokets over in between!! hehehe. ill let you know how it turns out, what kinda speeds you returning so far rwheelz (top speed)? what other mods you done to your bike?

trick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aside from the sprockets, yoshi full system, re-jetted, K&N, tank spacers... that is it for what might add power. I have a racetech front end as well, but am still on the stock rear shock. A handful of sliders. I just put the R6 throttle on. A subtle but definitely noticeable improvement. Corbin seat. I think that is it for mods.

I can still hit 125mph, didn't have room but I am sure it was going to 130 before it topped out. Everyone says not to go so short on the gearing, but how stable is this bike at that speed anyway? I am getting blown off at 120+ unless I am laying on the tank. I am not sure how accurate the speedo is at those speeds anyway, but it would have the same margin of error regardless of sprocket combo (it runs off the front wheel right?). So I can't really say there is any reduction in top speed. I am sure there must be some, but the bike wouldn't top out in 6th before anyway so no difference to me... I have only been through one tank, but I got the same mileage I did before the 14t front and rode it just as hard if not harder.

The bike definitely pulls away from my buddies' kawi 750 naked faster than it did before. Luckily I went to the drags just a week ago so I can compare the before/after et's and trap speeds- I will keep you posted!

Mr. Black- I believe at 80mph I am turning 6400 rpm, 7100 rpm at 90, and 8k at 100mph.

As I said before, if I were still living in texas this sprocket combo WOULD be too short, because everything is flat and straight and you really only use the top end. Then again, if I were back there I'd buy a bigger [email protected]

·
Registered
236 Posts
im also at 14/47. i love it. only prob is if your a rider whos always over 100mph then skip this mod. if your like us and figure the lower the top speed the safer you are anyways then its well worth it and lots of fun.

T

·
0 Posts
well it still goes fast enough to do yourself some serious harm and will hit 130 at least with 1447. ive got an MTC full system, PCIII, k&n, full fairing kit+tail, double bubble and 1447, i have have a killer 0-60. i think thta this mod is a really good one to do cos you still go just as fast but you can get the front end up easier in the higher gears (3+4, 4 just a little bit at the mo) and you get better acceleration through the gears, so if you wanna humiliate some little boy racer at the lights you can do it even easier than before!! hehehe
highly recommend

trick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hahhaaa I hear ya! whoever does 14/48 or higher first, keep in touch and let us know how it works out. is it possible to fit a 50T rear? ;)

T

·
0 Posts
it should be possible to fit it on, the highest renthal i can find is a 49t but talon or afam might do higher. the chain length might be an issue and you'll have to keep changing the front sproket as well (unless youve done hardly any miles with it on) 50t would be insane man, first and second would fly by and you'd never keep the front end down. the 0-60 would hit 3-3.5 sec i'd bet, nothing would touch it around town, you could run with the gsxr's and r1's at least up to 70-80ish which would be more than enough around town huh!! im gonna do some testing whe i get back to my bike in about 1 weeks time and ill try n post soon after that (i dont have the net so i might not be able to get the data up too soon but ill make a new threa about rear sprokets and speed later on.

till then, trick ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts