Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tightened my chain a couple weeks ago. I'm guessing I put 500 miles or less on the bike since tightening. During a ride on Sunday I was hearing a clicking noise as I pulled away from stops. In the past this meant that my chain had too much slack and needed to be adjusted. But I thought, "No way. Not already". I was wrong. It was definitely loose.

The adjusting markers are right where I put them, so I'm sure the rear tire is secure and hasn't slipped.
Since I bought the bike last July I have needed to adjust the chain only twice.
I have also kept up with chain maintenance.

I bought the bike used with about 13k, and I'm guessing, the original chain on it. I now have about 16k on the bike. By mileage alone, is it time for a new chain?

Could that kind of stretch be indicative of a problem in my riding/shifting? I consider myself fairly smooth, but miss a beat every now and again.
Pulling away from a stop I routinely tach 7k in 1st and 2nd gears before shifting. I'm not too conservative, but also not a rocket from the crypt.

I think the clicking sound is the chain bouncing off the chain guide on the swingarm. (BTW even at the point of hearing the clicking I do not notice any lack of performance from the bike, i.e. the chain is not slipping or wanting to jump off the sprocket, but is most definitely in need of an adjustment.) Does anybody else get that clicking sound? Or do you all check your chain tension before each and every ride?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
prolly time for new chain & sprockets, at the end of their life, they wear fast, you milage is consistent with average chain lifespan, change your sprockets too

·
Registered
419 Posts
I tend to get about 15,000 miles out of my chains. The other thing to keep in mind, IME, is that an older chain often develops tight spots: tight sections versus loose sections. Depending on which section you happen to test when adjusting, you can think it's right (which it is in that one spot), while it's really loose overall.

That too, however, is indicative of chain wear. In fact, that's usually what tells me I need to replace the chain: tight spots and kinked links as opposed to what people commonly refer to as stretch (worn pins).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts