Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, my bike has been neglected since i got my VW back on the road, so my chain rusted to shTT and is on the verge of braking. mind you, i dont know crap about bikes, im strictly a car person. my 07 GTI runs mid 11s which im happy with. anywho the question is, im bummed that the acceleration on my svs is less than awesome. what chain/sproket setup do you guys recommend for some awesome acceleration? links to buy kits would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Depends what you are doing with it. I liked 15/47 for the street.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Yep, try a 14t front first because they are cheap ( same ratio). Then 15/47

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k, ill try it out. im tearing it down tomorrow and painting the frame yellow

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
indysuperbikes has a 520kit - 15 front 46 or 47 rear, oh and go with the RK x-ring chain...haven't been able to kill one yet racing.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
My DID X-ring chain hasn't needed a re-tension in 10,000 miles. Since you don't seem to ride your bike much, I'd just say evaluate your sprockets first. If they're both in excellent condition with no noticeable wear, get a 14t front to save money. If the rear is in worse shape, get a 47 or 48t rear.

You say you don't know crap about bikes, so keep this in mind- on our bikes, going down one tooth in front is basically equivalent to going up 3 in the rear. You can mix them up as you wish, within a certain range. Also, the length of the chain you will need may change if you alter the sprocket sizes. Check out www.sprocketcenter.com. Even if you ultimately find a different deal elsewhere, it will help you learn what options you have and things to consider.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy a different bike :)

You can't have a bike that's slower than your car!
u have no idea, its actually kinda depressing. i had found a "parts gsxr 750" that the guy "lost the keys to" and "didnt have a title" that i was going to use as an SV donor but he sold it before i could get down there. im checking both indysuperbikes and sprocketcenter now. and yes, im very very new to bikes, and read that the SV was a great beginer bike. heres a couple shots of the dubyuh that steals all of my money quicker than my wife can, lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, and both front and rear sprockets are in good condition, should i just get a chain for now? how hard is it to resize a chain if i decide to put a different sprocket on it at a later date?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
or not, i really sould have known what i was doing with when i went to get the bike. there is about a half inch of grease in the front sprocket cover, i just tore most of it apart (yes i am a mechanic, just not for bikes... ill figure it out) tank, tail, and headlight are all off, so is the air box. throttle bodys looked clean, and the air filter didnt look old, leading me to believe it has been serviced prolly last season.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re-sizing a chain to a smaller size can be done, but would take precise cutting of a pin to take out the proper amount of links. Then, just use a new rivet with the Master link. One option you have is to replace the chain, then if you decide to re-gear it with different sprockets soon, just go down one in front and up one in the rear. That will work with the stock chain length and give you a decent gearing change.

In theory, a smaller diameter sprocket puts more stress on the chain (having to bend around a tighter circumference), but I get the impression that you won't be putting enough time/miles on the bike to worry much about slightly decreased chain life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts