Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I was wondering why Suzuki has the different chain sprocket sizing between the Naked and S models? To my knowledge both models use the same transmission gearing.
The S model uses the 15 front and 44 rear sprockets.
The Naked model uses the 15 front and 45 rear sprockets.
So from the above specifications the naked would have more low and mid-range grunt.
While the S model would have the higher top speed. But, why the difference?
Has anyone owning a naked SV changed to the 44 tooth rear sprocket from the S model? If so, would you please explain the overall feel. Did it make the throttle less twitchy in 1st gear? How many rpm's did it drop at various engine speeds in 6th gear?
Thanks for any help and responses to my questions.
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hey there!

I was curious about this same thing! First, with respect to the WHY question. I am guessing that the S model with the half fairing is a little more areodynamic and a higher gearing still gives good performance. The opposite being true in the naked, being less areodynamic needed a little lower gearing to optimize performance. I have a 2005 SV650s with the 15t front and 44t rear. I went to a 45t and eventually to a 46t rear sprocket. What I founds was exactly 2 MPH reduction in indicated speed with each addition of a tooth on the rear sprocket. For example, with the stock set up 15/44 my indicated speed at 6000 RPM was 81 MPH, with the 45t sprocket change my speed at 6000 RPM dropped to 79 MPH and with the 46t at 6000 RPM I am moving at an indicated speed of 77 MPH. I am happy with the 15/46. This seems to be the best compromise for me since I have more grunt getting up to speed or riding two up and yet still not turning to high a RPM on the freeway. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
S has better areodynamics so it can stand a bit higher gearing, nekid is a hooligan bike that's generally lower geared

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A1A said:
Has anyone owning a naked SV changed to the 44 tooth rear sprocket from the S model? If so, would you please explain the overall feel. Did it make the throttle less twitchy in 1st gear? How many rpm's did it drop at various engine speeds in 6th gear?

A1A-- I have done this. IMO one tooth up or down on the rear is not a big change.

RPM shift: 15-45: 6th [email protected] mph = 53-5400 RPM
15-44: 6th [email protected] = 49-5000 RPM

It seemed to make more of difference (although the change is still subtle) in giving me a little more RPM to wind out before shifting. I'm a lazy ass shifter and would prefer to spin 2nd from 20 mph through 35-40 if I'm stuck in residential or clogged traffic flow vs. shifting up and down repeatedly between 2nd and 3rd. I am like this in all the gears. If you like to practice your 0-60/100 times or do mongo wheelies, this is not the optimum sprocket ratio for you.

Personally, I like the fact that it's a little easier to keep the front wheel fully planted under hard acceleration-- no surprises or headshake during off corner exit. I also think it makes for a smoother power delivery. Lastly, if you do some long rides, the extra 3-400 RPM you're not spinning while cruising will reduce some of the perceived hand buzz...

The short version: If you like to wheelie and drag race, 15-44 is not for you. If you like smooth and easy or long rides, the 15-44 ratio is worth trying.

HTH

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cyclerider, RandyO, and Six Chin Skinny,
Thank you for your response's and great feed back. I just might have to replace my 45t rear sprocket with the a 44t. When its time to replace my chain. I'm not a wheelie kind a guy, and the 300-400rpm drop at speed definitely appeals to me. Also the 44t should allow a slight increase in gas mileage too. 8)
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A1A said:
... Also the 44t should allow a slight increase in gas mileage too. 8) ...

Yes, it does. Look for about 1-3 mpg in city/commute riding and 2-5 on freeway drones anywhere near the speed limit...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Your welcome man! Good luck with it! Even though I disagree with some of my fellow members that is what makes America great! Experimentation! Find what works for YOU!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If your throttle is twitchy, it's your TPS (throttle position sensor) that needs adjusting, not your gearing. Most bikes arive from the factory with this out of adjustment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tonyjuliano said:
If your throttle is twitchy, it's your TPS (throttle position sensor) that needs adjusting, not your gearing.  Most bikes arive from the factory with this out of adjustment.
Hi tj,
I may be the problem in regards that twitchy throttle on my SV Naked. I alternate riding between my SV and VS1400 Intruder. The Intruder has a harder twist to open the throttle. Sometimes I get caught between to minds and heavy handed on the SV throttle in 1st gear by mistake. :eek:
I was thinking it might not be as twitchy using a 44t rear sprocket.
Cheers! 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts