Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a 02 650S with 5600 miles on it. I have had it 3 years with no problems. Last year i adjusted the chain and its fine and within spec. I have heard that after 2-3 years you should just replace the chain is there any truth behind this ? thanks in advance......

Jason

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Unless is seriously neglected, a chain should easily last at least 20000 miles

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Hey i have a 02 650S with 5600 miles on it. I have had it 3 years with no problems. Last year i adjusted the chain and its fine and within spec. I have heard that after 2-3 years you should just replace the chain is there any truth behind this ? thanks in advance......

Jason
As to the years it should last who knows?? As long as it's lubed, dry and rust free it could last you 10 or 20 years provided you don't use it all that much. So 3 years all that long but you need to look at the mileage and chain stretch more so. Clean and lube the chain every 400-600 miles, adjust the tension at the same time (per manual), lube the chain if it gets wet and like Muller said 20k miles is very possible to get.

:)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It really has a lot more to do with wear and tear than it does with age. I'm on an 8-year-old chain and it looks as good as new (I lube and clean it every 500 miles without fail). Make sure to clean the front sprocket area once in a while too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It really has a lot more to do with wear and tear than it does with age. I'm on an 8-year-old chain and it looks as good as new (I lube and clean it every 500 miles without fail). Make sure to clean the front sprocket area once in a while too.
whats the best way to get to the front sprocket area.. i noticed it while i was cleaning my chain, but didn't put much thought into it. i can only imagine the amount of grime is in there

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
whats the best way to get to the front sprocket area.. i noticed it while i was cleaning my chain, but didn't put much thought into it. i can only imagine the amount of grime is in there
3 - 8mm nuts takem off, then pop the sprocket cover off, clean the gunk, while yer in there, check the clutch adjustment

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
3 - 8mm nuts takem off, then pop the sprocket cover off, clean the gunk, while yer in there, check the clutch adjustment
Yeah pretty much, easy as falling off a tree stump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts