Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. As far as chain maintenance goes, cleaning, oiling etc? I drive on concrete 100% of the time, no dirt roads or anything, so what do you guys suggest.

I have read to clean it with kerosene seeing how that will clean and lubricate at the same time? Any other ideas?

2. How often do you guys clean and adjust your chains?

Thanks for the input.........

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally I have a bad time on regular maintance on my chain.
I get my chain warm by riding around the neighborhood. Then I use alot of wd-40 and shop rags. Soak the chain and wipe clean. Then apply chain lube. I do this roughly every 400miles. As far as adjusting the chain, I do mine when I change the oil. Probably should be doing it WAY more often ::)

·
Registered
571 Posts
i try to clean my chain with kerosene every 600 miles or so. (i think this is what the manual reccommends) and i just lube it after cleaning and whenever it looks like it needs some.

as far as adjusting goes, i'm guilty of not keeping up with that very well. but in my defense every time i have checked it it seems to be within the regular parameters.

my chain has almost 15k on it since february and it looks new except for very minor surface rust that mostly comes off with cleaning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys............!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
clean with kerosene and lube every 600 miles. usually give another quick spray with lube in between cleanings, too.

manual recommends cleaning with kerosene...it works pretty good, too. wd-40 is not good on an o-ring chain, it is possible that it could "dissolve" the o-rings.

I lube with Maxima Chain Wax. Very clean, very little fling, easy to apply, no rust at all on the chain after 3500 miles.

I've got 3500 miles on the bike, and have not had to adjust the chain once. Checked it yesterday and it is still within spec. The stock chain and sprockets will last a long time if they are properly cared for

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gahdzila said:
clean with kerosene and lube every 600 miles.  usually give another quick spray with lube in between cleanings, too.

manual recommends cleaning with kerosene...it works pretty good, too.  wd-40 is not good on an o-ring chain, it is possible that it could "dissolve" the o-rings.

I lube with Maxima Chain Wax.  Very clean, very little fling, easy to apply, no rust at all on the chain after 3500 miles.

I've got 3500 miles on the bike, and have not had to adjust the chain once.  Checked it yesterday and it is still within spec.  The stock chain and sprockets will last a long time if they are properly cared for
Thanks gahdzila!! 8)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
ok, i dunno how you guys find the time to screw with your chain every 600 miles. Thats more once a week for me. I just let the thing ride until it starts looking too dirty or rusty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I clean with kerosene and lube chain with Honda hp chain lubricant every 500-600 miles my chain has almost 18000 miles and i only had adjust the chain once and that was at 600 miles in my experience as long as the chain is kept clean and lubed there is very little stretch and chain life is greatly increased.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Every 600 miles I clean and lube the chain. +- 100 miles or so. Not a big deal. If you have a rear stand it probably takes 15 minutes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
now that I have a rear stand its much easier to maintain the chain. I just replaced the chain @ 14k miles and it was a pretty sad sight. It was to the point where it needed to be adjusted after EVERY ride. I'm going to be cleaning/lubing the chain every 400 miles from now on!

·
Registered
476 Posts
my chain is at 15k miles and it's junk. i was lazy with maintenance at the beginning of its life. started out using wd40 for lube, sometimes went to heavy motor oil. didn't start cleaning with kerosene and using chain lube until about 12k miles and it's now stretched unevenly and all rusted and messed up. i didn't stick to the 600 mile thing strictly though i doubt i rarely let 1,000 miles pass w/o attending to the chain. riding in the winter and not cleaning the chain probably hurt a lot too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I clean my chain every 600 miles w/ kerosene, then hit it with chain wax.

The chain has 13,000 miles on it and just barley getting some rust spotting. It is getting a tad loose too. That's probably from at least 60 drag races w/ burnouts and hard street riding though.  ;)

Note : WD-40 is a degreaser. Make up your own mind about it.  :-\

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought some people might be curious about this

WD 40 mean water displacement 40th formula. They perfected WD the 40th try.

I use kerosene and a plastic brush. I clean very frequently because I ride on lots of back roads. Maybe every 400 mi. Then I use Bel ray chain wax. No rust 3600mi.

BH

T

·
0 Posts
I never thought the 600 mile recommendation meant a full-blown scrubdown. I use a kerosene soaked rag to wipe the chain every other weekend, one spin the chain around 1 time to lube it with some of that tacky spray-on lube. About every 3 months I scrub it down with kersosene and a toothbrush to get inside every link. That requires a bit more lubing afterwards - about 8-10 rotations the chain.

So far I've got 15000 miles on it; it hasn't stretched that much and it's wearing pretty evenly. Individual results may vary.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fellas, thanks for all the input on the thread. I got me some kerosene today and cleaned the piss out of my chain and then topped it off with some chain wax. She looks like a million bucks now.

;)Much Gras!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had several questions regarding the drive chain maintenance, which is listed as one of the things to do for the 600 mi maintenance...some other noob maintenance questions too:

Part of the job requires adjustment of the drive chain

1) Anybody know what size cotter pin is required near the back wheel axle? There's mention in the manual of removing the cotter pin, but they don't mention what size is need as a replacement.

2) Are there better pictures available by anyone, or a different book (I can't hunt down the Matthew Coombs SV650 maintenance book at the moment, it's either out of print or they're preparing a new revision, don't know...)? The Sv650 manual I find onlin has some really horrible photos where I can see only black blobs.

3) I get the point of cleaning with either kerosene or simple green...but what are recommended lubes? The owner's manual actually mentions using "heavyweight motor oil" which would make the job really simple, I have that on had already. Some other people have thrown out Chain Wax.

4) Whatever I use, I need to blot off any excess so that when I'm riding around, I don't pick up any particles (or at least minimize the amount of pickup)?

The other questions:

5) The lube points are indicated as one of the first pages in the maintenance section. What's the "oil" symbol and the "A" symbol indicate? In other words, what oil am I supposed to be using at those points with the oil symbol? The "A" symbol is an indicator for that grease gun contraption? Any specification on what type grease I'm supposed to use, if any?

(I have a picture just in case this question is too confusing, can't post it right now).

6) What is the Vacuum ______________ Synchronization that's supposed to be done at 600 mi? Is it something I can do by myself?

7) I mysteriously picked up a paint chip on the gas tank. Sucks. Anyhow, to repair it, what's the recommended procedure?
Since it's a small chip about the size of a pebble, do I need to sand the area down lightly? I'm trying to keep the touch-up area as small as possible. Do I really need the base coat of primer, the layer of paint in the specified color, and THEN the clear-coat as recommended by color-rite (color-rite.com)?

Please recommend any other passable paint sources. The dealership pointed me to color-rite, but I should've asked here before ordering anything.

thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I replaced my cotter pin with a big safety pin I got at home depot

it's reusable

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been accused of being somewhat anal retentive wrt bike maintenance. this is my routine for chain maintenance. Every week (usually Sunday) I wash my bike. Once it is dried and made pretty I focus on the chain.

1st step, warm the chain with a short drive, and then put the rear up on a stand

2nd step, I douse with WD-40 as I slowly spin the wheel. this does two things, first off it pushes any moisture out that may be there from the recent washing. Second it helps to penetrate into the linkages of the chain. I let this sit a few minutes.

3rd step, I douse a shop rag in varsol and hold it on chain as I rotate the tire. I do this until the rag comes off pretty clean. then I wait a bit for the varsol to fully evaporate.

4th step. I apply chain wax (I love this stuff, great lubrication and little spray) at 3 points, behind the footpeg, on the top as it leaves the front sprocket and at the rear on the rear sprocket (as per instructions on can), while rotating the wheel. Then let it setup for at least 15 minutes.

I started doing this on my previous bike shortly after I got it. the chain was in rough shape. stiff and kinky however after a couple times through this routine it has come back to almost new condition, good movement and nice and quiet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts