Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a difference? i hear the term chain wax all the time, but on all the products i've seen they are called lube. when i bought my sv, it had this white waxy crap on the chain, but the motul chain lube i have is more clear and thin. everyone hails maxima chain wax, so i checked out there website and on the can it says chain lube. same stuff, different name??

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I could be totally off base with this, but I think the "wax" is still a petro-based lube. Just a lighter and less messy (if you let it set up before riding) lube.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im currently using regular ol' motul chain lube and it makes more of a mess than the maxima chain wax I used all summer. I am to much of a cheap bastard to go and buy some chain wax when I still have half a can of the motul lube...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Wax takes more effort. You need to warm it up with a ride and then let it set after you spray it on. The catch is it isn't nearly as messy later on once you drive. It has virtually no fling off.

Lube is quick. Spray it on and go. The catch is it flings it all over and makes the rear rim a bitch to clean.

I went to wax this summer and am never going back to standard lube ....

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Theres spots of suzuki chain lube all over my bike in random spots that you'd think it could never fling. It'll take years to clean it all up with q-tips. Chain wax is the way to go now.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I still get 2-4 "splatter" marks on my tire after the first ride with the wax on. Am I putting it on too think? I tend to take a rag and wipe as much as i can off after im done waxin all sides..Is it unaviodable or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Regular_Joe said:
Wax takes more effort.  You need to warm it up with a ride and then let it set after you spray it on.  The catch is it isn't nearly as messy later on once you drive.  It has virtually no fling off.

Lube is quick.  Spray it on and go.  The catch is it flings it all over and makes the rear rim a B**** to clean.

Have you ever tried Bel Ray spray on chain lube? No fling whatsoever...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
yah i castrol chain wax here no mess.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Regular_Joe said:
Wax takes more effort. You need to warm it up with a ride and then let it set after you spray it on. The catch is it isn't nearly as messy later on once you drive. It has virtually no fling off.

Lube is quick. Spray it on and go. The catch is it flings it all over and makes the rear rim a B**** to clean.

I do this process to make it easy:
- Clean Chain w/WD-40
- Wash Bike, this really cleans off chain and residual WD-40
- Towel Dry followed by a quick trip around the block for the air blown drying.
- Bike is fully dry, chain is warm, time to wax chain with Maxima Chain Wax.
- Go inside to clean up change clothes
- 15mins have passed time to ride bike.

:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
i used to use motul chain lube. it was ok but it did fling alot and the rear rim was a real pain to clean on the sprocket side. now i use the bel ray wax and don't have any fling and the rear rim is much easier to clean now.

the only thing i don't like is the wax is white. so it makes your chain white when you spray it on. but i'll live with that very small nitpick with all of the plusses it has.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In terms of your original question, chain wax is a subset of chain lube. In other words: all chain wax is chain lube, but not all chain lube is chain wax.

For example, it is possible to lube your chain with oil rather than a wax-based product.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have scottoilers over there, very common over here and no need for wax or lube. It oils the chain as you ride with a nice easy to wash off oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found that chain wax collected black road gunk that was very hard to clean off, after using it for awhile the chain started getting tight spots. After going to lube I found that some of the tight spots went away, it also looked cleaner and not as much crap collected around the front sprocket. It seemed that the thicker, sticky chain wax collected dirt and grime and made it one big sticky mess where ever it collected.  Just my experience though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another vote for oil here.I don't think Scotoilers are available in the US but I could be wrong.Being incredably tight,I use old used engine oil and put it on little and often.It cleans the chain, lubes it better than anything,stops it getting sticky and picking up crap,and is totally free. ;DMy chain rarely needs adjusting and wear is minimal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Where in Phoenix do you live??? You can go up to Cyclegear in Mesa. They'd probably have wax and lube

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can definitely vouch for Scottoilers - I have one on mine and the Chain always looks beautiful. I never have to worry about it, just top up he Scottoiler reservoir every couple of months or so.

Cheers Keith

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
yup, I got a scottoiler, from http://www.actionstation.com/

I use automatic transmission fluid, viscosity is about perfect, red color makes it easy to see in redervoir & tube for filling & maintenance, in winter I thin it slightly with kerosene, a couple times in torrential dounpour I have got water in the system, vibration emmulsifies the liquids and you have to purge it and refil, other than that no problems, It can be adjusted so there is little to no fling, but I prefer let it drip faster and make a mess

·
Registered
29 Posts
rabbit said:
Do you have scottoilers over there, very common over here and no need for wax or lube. It oils the chain as you ride with a nice easy to wash off oil.
Yes but they cost $ and effort. Easier to just spray once in a while and ride the usual 2-3 k a year. Scottoilers are cool allright. I want one. Buddy has one on his MZ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts