Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going guys,

Fairly new to this forum; just picked up an 02 sv650s about 2 months ago and love it thus far. Got a question on my chain though;

The chain has been fairly loud when riding so I put it on a rear stand and put kerosene/O-ring safe chain lube on it. While I was doing that, I turned on the bike and put it in first gear to spread the lube around a bit. That's when I noticed the chain bouncing around like crazy (refer to linked video). Again this is with the bike on the rear stand. I made sure that the slack is approximately an inch all around and it still does this, any advice?

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/Krzysztof032/?action=view&current=Chain.mp4

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am going to do the maintenance one more time in adjusting the chain slack, possibly a noob mistake of improper chain slack maintenance. Besides that let me know if any other opinions on whether the chain is worn out (Bike has approx 14,700 miles)

·
Registered
248 Posts
You sure you don't have a tight linkage in there, a kink? If that's an original chain it could be shot if it wasn't maintained well.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
If you slowly turn the rear wheel and check the chain slack every few inches of travel, it should be very close to the same all the way around. Looks like yours has some tight spots making it jump as it goes around.

They should always be adjusted at their tightest spot...but if you've got high miles (yours is getting close) and it is tighter in some places than others by more than the tolerance of chain slop....you are time for a chain.:)

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
... any other opinions on whether the chain is worn out (Bike has approx 14,700 miles)
Lots of folks report 15 to 20k miles for chain life. I got 16k on my '03 with little maintenance beyond periodic adjustment.

As Rob said, slowly spin the wheel by hand (engine off!) and check slack every few inches. If it varies a lot, the chain is shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts