Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take my chain off to clean it with kerosene and lube it with some "non-fling". Problem is I don't have a rear stand. I'm guess at some point I'm going to have to lube my chain. Can I just lube it without removing the chain and washing it first? Or with that just make things messier?

How exactly do you guys remove the chain?

How do you lube it?

And how do you put it back on?

·
Registered
476 Posts
you don't need to remove the chain.
you don't need a stand.

just take the chain guard off, clean as much chain as you can, roll the bike, clean some more, etc. do the same for wax.

done.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man...

Props for the avatar....

up down up down left right left right B A select start.... ;D

that game was the sh!t

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Benda...it's buggin the hell outa me. what game is that from? I know I've played it, it looks REALLY familliar.

I'm playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas right now. I've got a yellow bikini faired motorcycle that looks a lot like my SV, I'm gonna try to cap a screenshot of my character on it firing his uzi, and make that my next avatar ;D

Anyway, back on topic. Yeah, no reason to take the chain off to clean it. I've got a small cake pan that I put some kerosene in, and place on the ground under the chain to catch the drippings. Dunk an old toothbrush in the kerosene, scrub chain till it's pretty, turn wheel, repeat until finished. Rear stand, although not necessary, makes the process MUCH easier.

If you have a pair of jackstands, dont buy a rear stand! Buy some metric bolts at the hardware store that are the correct size to screw into the holes in the swingarm, pic the rear of the bike up, slide jack stands under bolts! There's a more detailed how-to with pics and the exact bolt size and thread pitch in the "tips and tricks" of the main page.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Correct. That's Contra.

And the code was:

up up, down down, left, right, left, right, B, A

Heh. 30 lives. Kick ass. If only I could remember USEFUL information from my life...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
forget the roll spray thing. its ghetto. Just get two carjacks and jack it up. However, warning is that this is one time you need to be very very very fawking careful. Screw up and you will either have to catch your bike and/or have it fall.

T

·
0 Posts
lkm said:
forget the roll spray thing. its ghetto.  Just get two carjacks and jack it up.  However, warning is that this is one time you need to be very very very fawking careful.  Screw up and you will either have to catch your bike and/or have it fall.
Also ghetto. The following is ghetto too, but a more stable than car jacks.
You need two cinder blocks and two short pieces of 2X4. If you have rear spools, this works great. If not, it's a little tight.

With your bike on the sidestand, goto the right side of the bike and positiont the cinder block, with the 2X4 on top of it, under the end of the swingarm.
Go to the left side. Put the other 2X4 on the cinder block and put it close tothe swingarm. Push the bike upright and the right side swingarm (or spool) will rest on the 2X4, then as you push farther it will lift the rear end up and your sidestand will lift off the ground. slide the Other cinder block under. Voila!

Be careful!!! When you're tipping the bike up you can shove it over the wrong side. Once it's on the blocks, it's all good.

Now that the bikes on blocks you can steal the rim and run like hell.

N

·
0 Posts
Hey, since nobody's mentioned it so far, FYI -the chain is continuous. It's held together with a riveted master link and is typically not removed except for replacement.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts