Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It dawned on me the other day that most of you who post pictures of your bikes all have the chain guide on the upper part of the left swingarm. I bought mine from a dealer back in August, and it's missing this piece. I've only owned dirtbikes in the past, so really thought nothing of it. Am I taking a risk by riding without one, or is it just a part that can be waved-off because it is insignificant?

TIA.

-- C.J.
(BTW, if it IS important...anyone have one they can part with???)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I may have one I can part with here before too long. As soon as I can get a mold made for my carbon fiber, I can send you mine. But, don't want to promise it yet or anything and it's depending on if I can ever get the time to do it.

As to it's importance? I really couldn't tell you. I would think with your tires kicking stuff up it will help protect it from small rocks and other crap from the road.

·
Registered
628 Posts
As far as I know, it's to keep all the crap from your chain (like lube/oil) from flinging off onto you/your bike. Perhaps a small amount of protection, but I doubt you're going to get much debris coming in from above.

I took mine off as soon as I bought the bike, because I think they look fugly. There's a lot of bikes that don't have them.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
I think that's called a chain guard.

Motocross bikes have chain guides under the swing arm just before the rear sprocket.

Anyway, I've been wondering about them myself. I don't see much grodue kicked up by the back tire on the top of the chain guard, so I'm not sure how much "guarding" is going on...

Next..

·
Registered
333 Posts
For me, it was just a safety issue. I'd rather that something important, like my leg, not be dragged into the chain/sprocket. Just me I guess.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I dont have one, only time I miss it is right after I service my chain and I get some fling off the chain

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I have heard that in the event of chain breakage, the chain guard (That is what it is called) will prevent it from whipping you in the leg. I leave mine on as a result, but I have to admit that I doubt it that piece of soft plastic is going to do anything to the velocity of the chain should it come apart. In fact, it almost sounds like more shrapnel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have heard that in the event of chain breakage, the chain guard (That is what it is called) will prevent it from whipping you in the leg. I leave mine on as a result, but I have to admit that I doubt it that piece of soft plastic is going to do anything to the velocity of the chain should it come apart. In fact, it almost sounds like more shrapnel.
Yay Shrapnel;D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a screw that holds my chain guard on back out and come off. I can tell you a warm chain at speed will cut through that thing so fast and so clean you won't notice till you get home and go "wtf?"

Very clean cutting, more like melting.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have one that I am not using. If someone wants it, its all yours. First dibs to the OP, but if he doesn't want it, send me your address and I'll put it in the mail.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm the OP. And, I thought it was metal, like old XR650 chain guide/guards, to protect, like some of you said, from the chain taking off a chunk of flesh. I don't really see that happening. If it's plastic (oh, and mine's an '02N), and the Collective thinks it's a worthless POS, then I'll be on my way! Plastic protecting metal? What's next, cats & mice living together?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
there is metal under the plastic, so it might help some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts