Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that kerosene is a great compound to use for cleaning your chain. I was looking around for some and at Home Depot they had some. The problem was it was in like a 5 gallon jug or some crap which I don't really think I need. Also it costs like $45. Next to it was a synthetic kerosene called klean heat or some crap. It was like $15 and maybe a gallon. My question is whether or not the synthetic kerosene would do the same job as normal kerosene to clean my chain? I haven't been able to find anything about it. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I use organic orange chain cleaner from a hipster bicycle store, it's $15 and it works a million times better than I thought it would, and you'll be smelling a hint of faux oranges your first ride and not have to deal with the kerosene.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Haven't found anywhere in the Chicagoland area that has kerosene at gas stations.

Bought a 5 gallon jug at Menards about a year ago for $15.

My mom uses it as well as igniter fluid for charcoal/BBQ.

It'll probably last me easily another 2 years so I'll worry about it then

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I lived in the rural south, kerosene was pretty common at gas stations. Since moving to the west coast though, I really can't recall the last time I've seen a pump for it. FWIW, diesel is just about the same thing as kerosene, so I imagine it'd work just as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think your trying way to hard to hunt down some kerosene. There are a bunch of things that will do a great job cleaning your chain. I would just pick up a can of chain cleaner, and not spend any more time looking, or thinking about it. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just assume the gas station near my place has it and I've really stopped looking. I am, however, upset now because Jack mentioned Sheetz. I recently moved from right outside of Altoona, where Sheetz was founded, to near Atlanta where there are none to be found. That gas station is so convenient...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts