Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you guys shoot all these links at me about previous posts, i have searched them. I need to know when I'm using wd-40 to clean my chains, could i use a old tooth brush to scrub all that gunk off? What do you use to manually clean your chains?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Lots of us use the grunge brush. It's designed for cleaning chains. Do a google search, and I'm sure you'll find it. Should be around $10.

·
Registered
482 Posts
punkjumper said:
a rag. I also rip the bottom of a tshirt seam and use it like floss to get in between the links.
+1 on this method. I used a toothbrush a couple of times, but a piece of cloth is a little easier, IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
back in the days that i cleaned my chain, I used a toothbrush, rag & kerosene in a squirt bottle, now i have a scottoiler and I haven't touched my chain in ages

·
Registered
571 Posts
i bought a dishwashing brush from target. i happed to see a brush that is basically a really big toothbrush and it works great. and i use kerosene insted of wd-40.

if i remember correctly, it is a tupperware brand brush. hey, whatever works right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where I got my first service from, the owner used a plastic container, filled it with this cleaner and it snapped to the chain, then he rotated the rear wheel and the chain went through the lube, thus cleaning the gunk off.  He then hosed it off really well, dried it and lubed it up with chain wax.

He sells it, everything comes with it.  I will try and get a pix next time I am at the shop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Two cheapo toothbrushes taped together, and a rag. Kerosene for the solvent. Be careful when you clean though, last time for me I was not paying attention, the rag caught in the sprocket, pulled my thumb in which resulted in many bad words and a lot of blood. That was rotating it by hand, for god's sake don't ever try the engine running in first gear method.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Kerosene and a rag.  Wipe it clean and apply 90-wt. gear oil with a toothbrush.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heh anyone had an accident where the kerosene caught fire while cleaning their chain? :D I'll go find a grundge brush and go at it with some kerosene...Do I have to use heavy weight motor oil to lube it? Or will WD-40 do a good enough job?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use Jet A (only because I have a lot of it) on a rag to clean my chain. I don't let it get dirty enough to need a brush.

I use Dumonde Tech chain conditioner.

Clean and lube every two weeks or 600 miles.

If you want to use oil then use 90WT gear oil.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just don't clean it. I still got 20,000 miles out of the last chain so for the saved time and effort, I think that's good enough to not have to deal with it. I have heard of people getting 40-50k out of their chains with meticulous maintenance but I am just too lazy/time starved/ lacking a bike stand. Then again I don't wash my bike either.

-josh

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i dont clean mine either, just lube it when necessary.

but you could put some dish soap in your hand, put the bike in gear and just let the chain run through your hand.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I like using dawn... Every couple time I do a full clean -Takes more time, but I like not dealing with desel fuel or others like it. Chain looks good and my hands seem to like it better.

For the times between, I just use a rag and then spray with some Honda chain lube... WD-40 for sure will not cut it. Seems to work well for me.

But all changes when it rains alot... like now. Damn rain

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wont wd-40 cause the seals in O ring chains to swell, and basically write them off?? I checked out the owners manual and it says to use kerosene....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
its hard o find kerosene in the summer in a metro area, so i bought a jug of wd-40

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your local bike shop should have a bottle of 'chain cleaner' to use rather than WD-40 specifically meant to do your chain and other parts on the bike. I just bought that from the saleman's recommendation who also rides an SV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts