Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some background info.. i just got a 1999 sv650 as my first bike, bike had 9120 miles on it i have since put on just over 800 miles. I now have to realize that the chain should be cleaned as well as lubricated. I was reading the service manual and it said to soak it in kerosine then lubricate it with a heavy wieght motor oil. My question is does this require removing the chain, and if so how hard is this proccess, and is there perhaps another oil that would be better than motor oil to use to lubricate the chain. Oh yea is kerosine the best stuff to use to clean it also? Thanks in advance. Looking forward to putting many more miles on it throughou the summer...

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
NO reason to remove the chain. That's silly - since you should be cleaning and lubing around every 300 miles.

Get some kerosene (cheapest alternative - WD40 works, too).

Buy a Grunge Brush and a spray bottle

Get rear wheel off the ground (see the 'cheap rear stand' link in Tips 'n Tricks)

Spray the chain with kerosene, scrub with Grunge Brush

Rinse with water. Let dry.

Ride for 5 minutes - then lube the chain with something like Maxima Chain Wax or PJ1 chain lube or whatever M/C specific lube your local shop has.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Maritan said:
I would not use WD-40. That thing will eat rubber.
And so the debate continuse about O-rings and WD40.......

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
qvverty187 said:
some background info.. i just got a 1999 sv650 as my first bike, bike had 9120 miles on it i have since put on just over 800 miles. I now have to realize that the chain should be cleaned as well as lubricated. I was reading the service manual and it said to soak it in kerosine then lubricate it with a heavy wieght motor oil. My question is does this require removing the chain, and if so how hard is this proccess, and is there perhaps another oil that would be better than motor oil to use to lubricate the chain. Oh yea is kerosine the best stuff to use to clean it also? Thanks in advance. Looking forward to putting many more miles on it throughou the summer...
How you maintain your chain can depend on what kind of riding you are going to be doing, cleaning and lubing your chain can get tedious if you are a high milage rider, you might sonsider a scottoiler. lubeman, or some other type of chain oiler

I have a scottoiler, engine vacuum turns the unit on, while the engine is running I have mine set to a rate of 1 drop of automatic transmission fluid per minute onto my rear sprocket, the centrifical force works the ATF into the chain, ATF has high detergent qualities, the chain is kep moist with lube an clean (wheel and chain guard get a little dirty though :roll: )

I never touch my chain, except at regular minor service (oil change) interval and when I get a new rear tire, a quart of ATF last about 7500 miles at htat drip rate

·
Registered
542 Posts
I recently used diesel fuel to clean my chain and it worked well. I was told by a friend that diesel is basically a heavier weight kerosene, and diesel is much easier to find (at least for me). Anyone else ever try this? And of course followed by maxima chain wax..

N

·
0 Posts
Dryer said:
I recently used diesel fuel to clean my chain and it worked well. I was told by a friend that diesel is basically a heavier weight kerosene, and diesel is much easier to find (at least for me). Anyone else every try this? And of course followed by maxima chain wax..
Duh, you're right- I don't know why I didn't think of that! For that matter, jet fuel would also work if you were one of those guys in a position to get it.

:)

·
Registered
653 Posts
FWIW - I've been using deisel every 250 miles for 2K and haven't noticed any cracking or distorting of the o-rings...yet. GOt the idea from an old motorcycle mechanic.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Dryer said:
I recently used diesel fuel to clean my chain and it worked well. I was told by a friend that diesel is basically a heavier weight kerosene, and diesel is much easier to find (at least for me). Anyone else every try this? And of course followed by maxima chain wax..
Duh, you're right- I don't know why I didn't think of that! For that matter, jet fuel would also work if you were one of those guys in a position to get it.

Humm jet feul??? I'll have to drain off a quart from my F-16C street fighter jet and see how well it works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
WD-40 is the easiest IMO. Scrub with a (plastic bristle) brush and spray with WD and you're good to go.

I dont believe that WD-40 will do anything harmfull to the chain. Proof? I've had my stock chain for 15,000mi so far, which isnt alot but all the same there are no signs of serious wear or stiffness.

Diesel is more expensive than kerosene but will work just the same.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
tyger508 said:
WD-40 is the easiest IMO. Scrub with a (plastic bristle) brush and spray with WD and you're good to go.

I dont believe that WD-40 will do anything harmfull to the chain. Proof? I've had my stock chain for 15,000mi so far, which isnt alot but all the same there are no signs of serious wear or stiffness.

Diesel is more expensive than kerosene but will work just the same.
Diesel is only more expensive if you are paying road tax, find an off road diesel pump, WD-40 is a LOT more expensive than either diesel or kero

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh yea, sorry, i meant diesel is only more expensive than kerosene. WD-40 is deff more expensive than both.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
tyger508 said:
oh yea, sorry, i meant diesel is only more expensive than kerosene. WD-40 is deff more expensive than both.
Yeah but the spray can with red hose really helps blast the sand and dirt off faster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow glad I read this thread... I am obviously waaaaaay lazy about keeping up my chain. That'll make a good weekend project!

·
Registered
432 Posts
diesel, fuel oil, kerosene, all similar.

WD-40 might hurt your o-rings if your chain is from the eighties. :roll:

I use kerosene. It's readily available at gas stations for about $2.25 a gallon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a Lubeman chain oiler. I had one and the cheap reservoir split at the seam after only one month and oil leaked all over the left side of my rear tire, 50 miles way from home in the middle of the night. I had to ride home carefully taking only right hand turns :roll:

N

·
0 Posts

Have we killed this topic yet? Now let's talk about Mike's sig! Is the yellow bike really an R5, and where did the mags come from?

·
Registered
432 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Have we killed this topic yet? Now let's talk about Mike's sig! Is the yellow bike really an R5, and where did the mags come from?

Not an R5 at all. I wish it was though. The yellow is a '77 RD400 painted like a later Daytona model. It was originally Chappy Red. It also has Fox shocks. The Green is an all original '76.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts