Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a clicking noise coming from the chain area this week. The chain was loose so I adjusted it so there is now an inch of play on the loosest part. As I walk the bike in neutral I can see and hear the chain catching on something. The only thing I can think to do is clean it since it has been a while. The dealer cleaned it when I had new tires put on this past spring. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Sounds like you might have some tight spots on your chain, indicating yours may be close to being worn. If the last time your chain was cleaned was last spring, I'd hazard a guess that it may be a result of neglect. Are you at least lubing it frequently?

Check the chain tension at several different sections and see if it varies.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By checking for tight spots, do you mean rotating chain then checking, then rotating and checking again?

In past years I've cleaned and lubed it a couple times a season, but this summer I've hardly ridden the bike. The chain is not rusting or anything like that but it is the original and the bike has about 15k miles on it.

Also as I walk the bike its not clicking constantly just a couple times per rotation.

I'm gonna clean it this weekend. We'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went out there a few minutes ago and just sprayed some chain lube on it and took it around the block. The noise is greatly reduced. I'll clean and lube it real good this weekend.

I guess the chain could be near the end of its life though still. From what I've just searched and read, they typically last from 15k to 20k but some people report up to 30k miles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It does sound like the chain's about gone. Mine started doing the same thing.

Put it up on a rear stand, and spin the wheel slowly while checking the chain all the way around. You'll probably find a few links that are either stiff, or locked up.

I've got a chain on order now for the same reason. My 1st clue was the noise, and the 2nd was that the chain tension was substantially different as I spun the wheel.

UD

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but don't you want an inch of play in the tightest part, not the loosest?
That's what I did on my old chain with tight spots.

According to the manual, with the bike on the side stand you check the chain in the middle which would be the loosest I would think.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7530846/Suzuki-SV650K3-Workshop-Manual-Parts-Catalog
I'm pretty sure he was referring to a chain with tight spots. Thus you would adjust the chain tension in the middle of the chain based on the tightest section of chain.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I noticed a clicking noise coming from the chain area this week. The chain was loose so I adjusted it so there is now an inch of play on the loosest part. As I walk the bike in neutral I can see and hear the chain catching on something. The only thing I can think to do is clean it since it has been a while. The dealer cleaned it when I had new tires put on this past spring. Any other ideas?
That's too tight. Put more slack in it. You want roughly 1-1.5" of slack at its TIGHTEST point in the rotation and that's with you sitting ON the bike with the suspension compressed slightly.

The chain likely has some stiff links or it's just rubbing on the chain guide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts