Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.. I just bought a 15/46 sprocket kit with a DID chain that should be arriving pretty soon. Does anyone have any advise for me when changing these puppies out? Ive read alot of info, but it looks a little daunting. Does anyone live in the central florida area that might want to come help? haha. no really.

-

·
Banned
39 Posts
i'd say you need to decide wether to spend the money at the dealership an pay to have it done, or pay to buy the right tools to do it yourself. you get to keep the tools.

I too have my new chain/sprocket set in the mail an am going through the same situation. But i'm really handy with vehichles so im just gona buy the tools an do it.

chain breaker/riveter =70$ 32mm socket 10$ total cost 80$ dealership prolly charge almost twice that

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
If you have at least some experience with mechanical things, and basic tools, I would suggest trying it yourself.

In addition to the service manual which you can download, you will get lots of knowledgeable help on this forum if you get stuck.

It can be very rewarding working on you own bike and learning how things go together, and like markyrocks said, 'you get to keep the tools!', and the knowledge you'll never loose.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you have at least some experience with mechanical things, and basic tools, I would suggest trying it yourself.

In addition to the service manual which you can download, you will get lots of knowledgeable help on this forum if you get stuck.

It can be very rewarding working on you own bike and learning how things go together, and like markyrocks said, 'you get to keep the tools!', and the knowledge you'll never loose.
Yeah, Im sure i can do it.. I ordered a chain press, have the tools to take the wheel , and sprockets off (I think). Im just worried about sizing the new chain and getting it the right length - and how to get links off to get it the right length.. :-o

Edit: I just bought a motion pro chain breaker for 28 bucks from ebay.. Along with the chain press, i should be good to go for putting the chain on, anyway. :) Interestingly, my sprockets look in great condition.. but i guess i should change it all at once.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Edit: I just bought a motion pro chain breaker for 28 bucks from ebay.. Along with the chain press, i should be good to go for putting the chain on, anyway. :) Interestingly, my sprockets look in great condition.. but i guess i should change it all at once.
Let's hope you bought a rivet press and not just the plate press, otherwise you'll need one of those too.
chain breaker- grind the head off a rivet and press the pin out
plate press- presses the plate onto the link and gets it lined up
rivet press- mushrooms the head of the rivets and secures the plate on the master link<---- the last step

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let's hope you bought a rivet press and not just the plate press, otherwise you'll need one of those too.
chain breaker- grind the head off a rivet and press the pin out
plate press- presses the plate onto the link and gets it lined up
rivet press- mushrooms the head of the rivets and secures the plate on the master link<---- the last step
I got the mini chain press from motion pro.. i read that it should work for rivet chains.. if not, i guess it will be 'hammer-time'

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I got the mini chain press from motion pro.. i read that it should work for rivet chains.. if not, i guess it will be 'hammer-time'
The rivet press- if you paid less than $80 for it then you didnt get a rivet press.

Looks like you got a plate press
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Motion_Pro_Mini_Chain_Press_Tool--503539.html

It works on rivet chains- it presses the plate into place. But you still need to secure the plate by riveting the pins.
You still need to rivet the master link, which is another tool.
You could try to rent/borrow the tool from a local shop or buy a clip-style master link and put that on the bike and ride it to a shop and have them remove the clip-link and install a rivet-style master link.

To rivet the link you need one of these:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details...ing_Tool_Kit__Replacement_Parts--56-MP-1.html

Or this
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details...ml?loomia_si=t0:a16:g2:r2:c0.275352:b17613608
with the proper pin size for the chain

·
Registered
333 Posts
Where in Florida are you? I live in Port Richey and have everything necessary to do this and just did mine about a month ago. Only took me about an hour or so to do mine, and I cleaned the entire wheel while it was off. If you do it yourself, just make sure you grind the entire head off the rivet, all the way down to the plate. I broke one of the pins on my chain press because I needed to grind just a hair more off the rivet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where in Florida are you? I live in Port Richey and have everything necessary to do this and just did mine about a month ago. Only took me about an hour or so to do mine, and I cleaned the entire wheel while it was off. If you do it yourself, just make sure you grind the entire head off the rivet, all the way down to the plate. I broke one of the pins on my chain press because I needed to grind just a hair more off the rivet.

Im in East Orlando.. it took only an hour to replace both sprockets and chain? wow. thats quick work. I have a chain breaker, but no riveter - as I apparently need...

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can cut the chain with a grinder or abrasive cut off wheel or chain breaker rivet tool.
Then after you change the sprockets you can put on chain and test fit it. Move the wheel all the way forward and then cut the chain to the right length. The chain cutting tool or breaker is lot better than a grinder for this as it does not introduce metal chips in to the new chain. DID chains come with two types of master links, clip type and rivet type. the clip type are easier to install, but not as strong. The rivet type can be installed w/o a tool with a punch, but the tool makes it much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.