Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've recently turned 15K on my 2nd gen SV650S. I hear a bit of chain noise when in 1st gear and I was wondering if it might be time to replace the stock chain and spockets. I checked the spockets and I don't see any worn teeth. From what I've read, if the spockets aren't worn, they don't need to be changed.

What do you guys things?

Cheers.

Tige

C

·
0 Posts
15K??? It won't be long, that's considered decent wear from a chain. I have replaced a couple and mine lasted 16-17K. Do you have tight and loose spots when you adjust? Do you still have adjustment room left? Those were the giveaways for me. Sprockets seemed ok, so I didn't change them first time. The front sprocket was toast by time to replace the second chain, so I replaced both. You can probably start shopping.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check the stretch

The owner's manual has a procedure for checking chain stretch. Do that and also look for binding or very tight links. That will tell you if you need to replace or not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My oem chain is at 17000 miles and still looks great,my experience is as long as it cleaned and lubed at 500-600 mile intervals,chains can last a long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts