Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 SV650, stock chain and sprockets, with 10,000 miles. Question #1, on my wheel adjustment marks on the swingarm I am at the last notch back with at least 2 inches of slack in the chain ( on the rear stand ). I checked for chain stretch and between 21 pins on the chain is right there at 12.5 inches. Is my chain still stretched? Im thinking the adjustment marks on the swingarm should probably be somewhere in the middle, correct? Question # 2, on the stand, in nuetral, bike running, when you hold in the clutch and put it in 1st gear, the wheel shouldnt start rolling till I let out the clutch, right? Question #3, If I replace the chain and sprockets what is the best I can get for durability and bling factor? Thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The wheel will still roll with the bike running, rear stand, clutch in. Happens on my car also. Normal.

As far as best durability and mileage, many people say stock chain and sprockets. That's what I'll probably go with as I'm only at 12K miles but it seems like my chain isn't in the best of shape. I ride it out in the rain alot and park it wet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Jesse H said:
The wheel will still roll with the bike running, rear stand, clutch in.  Happens on my car also.  Normal.

As far as best durability and mileage, many people say stock chain and sprockets.  That's what I'll probably go with as I'm only at 12K miles but it seems like my chain isn't in the best of shape.  I ride it out in the rain alot and park it wet.

If your car does it, you have problems.
Agreed that it is normal in a wet clutch on the bike. I can usually just hit the brake (rear, obviously) and it stops once the oil is hot.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
ignore those lame measuring marks in the swing arm-- they're a token only. if you measure the the chain and it ain't stretched, then it ain't stretched.

if a blingin' chain makes you feel good, then buy one that looks bling to you. bling exists entirely in the mind of bling-observer. just be aware that you'll look like one of the kidz that likz bling.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nimbus said:
If your car does it, you have problems. 
Agreed that it is normal in a wet clutch on the bike.  I can usually just hit the brake (rear, obviously) and it stops once the oil is hot.
Nope, it's normal. FWD or RWD cars, limited slip or open diff. Next time you have your car on jackstands with the drivewheels in the air, giver her a try. I still haven't figured out why though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The marks on the swingarm are for refernce to make sure you have the axle straight. I wouldn't
use them as a guide if your chain is stretched or not. Go with the measurements you took - that will
tell you if it is stretched or not.

You say you have 2 inches of slack - that's about 54 mm - WAY too much slack! The manual (at least
on my 02 SVS says 25-33 mm of slack. Are you noticing excessive chain noise? Can you hear it when
you ride through your helmet? If so, tighten it up! The procedure for doing it is in the manual. If you go
past the marks on the swingarm, just use a tape measure and make sure you move the axle the same
distance on each side. If you get the axle crooked, your tire, chain, and sprockets will wear wrong, thus
causing further issues.

If you don't feel comformtable with all of this, take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Sometimes
$50 for 1 hour of maintenance by "trained" people is the best investment in the long run.

Cheers.

Tige

1 - 6 of 6 Posts