Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning the chain and checking for adustment today, I noticed that the chain loosened and tightened during revolutions.
I initially had adjusted it so there was 1" of deflection. Then I started spinning the wheel and got to a point where it got noticeably harder to turn. I looked down at the chain and, sure enough, it was tight ontop and bottom. It seems to keep happening in the same section of chain each time but all the links seem nice and loose as they should be.

So far as I can tell with the crappy alignment marks, I have the rear wheel lined up correctly. I've even tried a couple different spots but I get the same results (ie I put the left marks further forward than the right and vice-versa)

Both sprockets seem to stay in the same place as they spin and do not seem misshapen, nor do they have any "funky" teeth.

What's the deal?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Your chain has tight spots. You have to adjust the slack at those spots first. After adjustment, if the chain has too much slack in the other areas, time for a new chain.

Also, do not go by the hash marks on the swingarm. Take measurements to make sure your rear wheel is aligned right.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. But I still don't understand the logic of it tightening. I started the bike and let it run in first gear while I stood to the side of it and watched the front sprocket and the rear wheel and sprocket spinning. They all were perfectly round but the chain still would get tight.

How is it that the chain has "tight spots?"

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Okay. But I still don't understand the logic of it tightening.  I started the bike and let it run in first gear while I stood to the side of it and watched the front sprocket and the rear wheel and sprocket spinning.  They all were perfectly round but the chain still would get tight.

How is it that the chain has "tight spots?"
the o-rings have leaked and allowed some of the links to seize up, they don't freely "straighten out" once you get "tight/loose" syndrome, the chain wears quickly, what kind of chain, how many miles etc?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine did the same thing and it was shot. It really irked me too as, at first, it would have a tight spot (I could mark it) and if you spun the chain the same spot would no longer get tight. I thought it was a sprocket problem. I've become a proponent of keeping the chain loose. If I press it in the middle of run between f/r sprockets, I like it to touch the rubber guard. I think tight wears them out very quickly.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a stock chain with just under 15k miles on it.

Shouldn't I be able to see kinked links? Nothing remotely obvious to me.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Look at it this way, if you decide to get a new chain, you can use the old one as a necklace, just like LL Cool J and Mr T. did back in the day! (they didn't wear motorcycle chains, but necklaces as big as MC chains)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is it the stock chain? I don't know who made it, but the chain is junk. I have adjusted my chain more in 8000 miles than my father has in 26k miles on his Viffer. I'm just waiting until I totally wear out the chain and sprockets to replace it. I've had great luck with Renthal chains on dirtbikes, but I heard they are basically RK chains with a different box.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Suzuki manual states 20-30mm slack. That's about an inch and that's not too tight. That's right.

Adjusting your chain too frequently usually indicates the closing of its life span. I put a new chain on my bike and with regular lubing I haven't had to adjust the chain almost any.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
RoostMonkey said:
Is it the stock chain? I don't know who made it, but the chain is junk. I have adjusted my chain more in 8000 miles than my father has in 26k miles on his Viffer.
The stock chain is DID
DID makes several qualities as all chain manufacturers do.
The stock chain is not a POS, I think it is either their top or second line chain.

The key to long chain life is REGULAR cleaning.
The most regular cleaning you can do is put a Scott Oiler on it.
Some people here report getting 30k out of a chain with one installed.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Here's a little trick I found many years ago to loosen tight links. Get some brush on anti seize, brush it on the chain (outside edge) Then take a propane torch, heat up the anti seize. The anti seize will penetrate the links and free it up. Don't heat it to much, it doesn't take to much to melt the anti seize. You'll see it disappear into the links, then wipe clean with a rag. Spin the wheel and it will start to free up the tight spots. This stuff is messy so don't use to much, doesn't take much. I have done this many times on customers bikes. Saves the chain for a while. It's worked for me   ;D

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Currently said:
The stock chain is not a POS, I think it is either their top or second line chain.
I'd totally agree with that, I took mine off at about 15000 miles when I changed my gearing, and it was in superb condition... No noticably tight links, no severe wear on the sprockets. I use a Scottoiler, so that does help, but if the chain's wearing badly in 8000 miles, you need to either change your maintenance methods or change your lube, because you're killing it. Don't blame the chain...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts