Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When's the best time to ride from Santa Barbara/LA area to the grand canyon? I've never been, but want to do a camping trip in the near future

·
Chief Greeter
28,538 Posts
When's the best time to ride from Santa Barbara/LA area to the grand canyon? I've never been, but want to do a camping trip in the near future
Hi zackman, I would go vacationing around Memmorial Day or after Labor Day to avoid the summer-time crowds. I went there once it was earlier in the year and it was snowing in AZ. Good luck!

:fiddy:

·
Registered
25 Posts
The main road on the north side of the Grand Canyon usually doesn't open till late April due to snow. The problem is that by May its easily 100+ F in desert as you go through Vegas.

So it depends on how tough you are.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
don't go to the north rim, go down the 101 to the 15N to 40W through Kingman, AZ then up 64 to the south rim. I lived in AZ for a year and a half and made several trips up there and its awesome anytime of year, as solution said it does get hot though, i don't know about 100F in May, might have been a bad year, but it is the desert so i'd believe it. Its definitely a trip worth making though, at least once in your life.

You planning on riding? let me know nad there is a decent chance i could ride it with you, i have been wanting to get back out that way for a little while now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
if you go to the north rim, they have the skywalk, the catwalk that is make of some clear polycarbonate that is suspended out over the canyon. supposed to be one of the scariest and one of the coolest things to see!

·
Registered
25 Posts
if you go to the north rim, they have the skywalk, the catwalk that is make of some clear polycarbonate that is suspended out over the canyon. supposed to be one of the scariest and one of the coolest things to see!

The Skywalk is on an indian reservation on the western end of the north rim, so it's only about a two hour drive from Vegas. Makes for an easy daytrip if you are staying in Vegas. But the national park entrance on the north side is something like 350 miles east from Vegas, and doesn't usually open till late April.
The skywalk is pretty cool, definitely worth the $50 admission to the park/indian reservation. However when I was there almost two years ago, the last 20 miles were on a graded dirt road. It was a rough ride in rental car, I imagine it would really suck on an SV. But I did see a couple HD guys brave the heat, dust, and ****** conditions. But that was almost two years ago, and they were talking about paving it. Hopefully it's done by now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Actually TJ it is on the west side of the canyon, and you travel on an 18mile dirt road to get there and it cost $$75 to do a hurried walk on the catwalk. Waste of time from everything I read and heard. (damm solution, you beat me by a few seconds ;D)

The road to the north rim is supposed to be a good ride.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
and it cost $$75 to do a hurried walk on the catwalk.
seems like last year when they opened it up it was $25. that went up pretty quick. i'll just stand close to the edge and look down CAREFULLY.
(last time i was there, walking down bright angel trail, a condor flew off a ledge about 30 feet over my head. way cool.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was actually thinking about taking a ride out that way over the summer when I had free time. Gotta get some practice in before I take a long road trip tho....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Waste of time from everything I read and heard.
I've only heard bad about it also, and one of those people was a National Park Ranger at the South Rim, said he knows people that went and said it wasn't worth it...i'd love to hear from someone who's actually paid all that $$$ to do it

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Man, I'll be the first to admit that there's no way in hell that I'd do that catwalk deal!! That would scare the bajeezus out of me. I can fly a high wing Cessna, pop open a door and look down or I can be tied in up in a 140' tall Eucalyptus tree in a stiff wind and not have a bit of a problem. Get me next to the edge of a cliff or a plate glass window in a skyscraper.....eeeeegaaadddz...I get the chills just thinkin' about it!

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
The north rim is more like Boundry Waters northern woods atmosphere. After visiting both rims (and hiking both rims), I prefer the north. It's quieter.

The south rim gets 90% of the traffic. Yes, the views are bigger and there are more trails but a lot of traffic, especially between Memorial day and Labor day unless you go during the week, it's not quite as bad.

If you plan on camping in the canyon, go before Memorial Day, it will be hot after that, like stated above, 100F+ even if it's only 80F on the room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts