Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my back is giving me a lot of trouble, so I'm not riding. I drove to the drug store yesterday and had the following experiences.

A young mother holding a toddler's hand with one of her hands, carrying a package in her other hand, with a cell phone firmly planted between her right shoulder and ear, walked right in front of me in a shopping center parking lot. I could see her coming and noted she didn't check the traffic as she stepped off the sidewalk, so I stopped. She passed right in front of my car, I never saw her eyes once.

Literally seconds later a man with a cell phone in his right ear did the same thing, stepped off the curb first looking to his left (his head made a distinct 90 degree turn) and then walking in front of me. Didn't turn right in the least, I never saw his eyes.

There's no question of who is right or wrong in these cases, but you should beware anyway, in your car or on your bike.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Maybe they aren't blind, but expect you to stop?

That's the case on Madison's campus. The light on a 6 lane downtown street may green with tons of fast moving vehicles barreling down on a college crosswalk and all of the students will walk accross as if they are invincible - doesn't matter if they are on a cell phone or not.

I would think in a grocery store parking lot, the same would hold true.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I know here most store parking lots peds have the right of way. I believe its actually a law or something as I was raised hearing it and that such. So people expect everyone to stop and often times dont even think to look as they are in the right so they cant be hit. +1 on that college campus thing purdue is real bad about that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
Maybe they aren't blind, but expect you to stop?

That's the case on Madison's campus. The light on a 6 lane downtown street may green with tons of fast moving vehicles barreling down on a college crosswalk and all of the students will walk accross as if they are invincible - doesn't matter if they are on a cell phone or not.

I would think in a grocery store parking lot, the same would hold true.
That's b/c on most college campuses, the ped have the right of way regardless of traffic. It's stated in our handbooks here at MSU, so I would venture a guess that it's the same in many other places. It's pretty fun to have someone pull that at a light and watch me whizz by on my bike... scares the CRAP out of them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i don't disagree with either of you on the cell phone issue; i think talking on the phone is distracting and causes you to lose awareness of your surroundings.

HOWEVER

IMO, pedestrians always have the Right of way. definitely in shopping center parking lots. i hate when people drive past the door of the grocery store like dal8 jr and get mad when they have to stop to let a few ladies cross in front of them.

in addition, i was one of those "cross the street even if traffic is coming" people in college. what are "you", as a driver, going to do about it? let the police enforce the laws.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The ped right of way is undeniable (at least here in VA), but I think what people are talking about is the fact that students will take incredibly stupid risks based on the fact that they believe they have right of way.

Here (at William & Mary), the students will often walk through the 7' line of boxwood (a dense bush) and suddenly appear at full speed in the crosswalk. Of course I'll stop: IF I SEE THEM. However, a lot of times, people just walk randomly outside of crosswalks and take this unlooking leap of faith into traffic.

I'll force my way across the street while running, but I'm not going to trust anybody to do anything that they "should" do.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
coming off of the college campus was one of the biggest adjustments i had to make. the lack of cars and the right of way for pedestrians. if you exercised that much lack of caution in my town now, i guarantee you'd wind up in the ER before noon.

i can't tell you how many rear quarterpanels i hit on my way to and from the train. they roll through stop signs, looking only in the direction of oncoming traffic (one-way streets). sometimes i'll just stop and stand in front of them to see how long it'll take them to see me. i'm prepared to jump up on their hood if they accelerate. the look when they finally do see me is priceless.

of course, there's also the crooked cops in town; i got a verbal warning for crossing the street in a crosswalk with a green light once. if it hadn't been so stupid, it would have been funny

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
wow, tx is a whole different country. You'd have to be dumber than a mental retard to do that here, you will get run over by everyone and since they don't have insurance, they will run.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
oh yeah I forgot that at Purdue SUPPOSEDLY if you get hit by a city or campus bus you get a semester tuition free....maybe other places do this or claim to do this so kids are always hoping :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
lkm said:
wow, tx is a whole different country. You'd have to be dumber than a mental retard to do that here, you will get run over by everyone and since they don't have insurance, they will run.
That has to be one of the funniest and truest things I've ever read.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Colortrix said:
lkm said:
That has to be one of the funniest and truest things I've ever read.
especially when you imagine it being spoken with the appropriate texas accent.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pedestrians do have the right of way, but it doesn't mean that people are going to yield. That lady should have looked regardless of what the law is. I was crossing a crosswalk at an intersection when I was younger and a lady was making a right turn through the crosswalk. I assumed she would stop since I had the right of way, and she was looking directly at me. She didn't stop and I got hit and she kept going. The cops got her a mile down the road and she said she went for the brake and accidently hit the gas. She admitted that she saw me.

That lady and her kid could have been hit, and it wouldn't have been her fault. But is it really worth it? All she would have had to do is look up and the problem would have been solved. I know there wasn't actually a problem, but I wouldn't think it would be worth the risk. I hate cell phones more and more every day (even though it's not the cell phone's fault).

V

·
0 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
oh yeah I forgot that at Purdue SUPPOSEDLY if you get hit by a city or campus bus you get a semester tuition free....maybe other places do this or claim to do this so kids are always hoping :lol: :lol:
I wonder how many people get hit by a BUS and actually live or still have a functioning brain to be able to cash in on that deal?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
vtwinheaven said:
toobrokeforthat said:
I wonder how many people get hit by a BUS and actually live or still have a functioning brain to be able to cash in on that deal?
thats why ive always found it funny. However the thought did cross my mind to wait til it all but stopped then step off the curb. Thankfully I never had this thought after a few drinks :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
If if you have right of way, you're a moron if you don't look up.

A vehicle without the right of way can kill you just as dead.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The way I look at it is that most people are idiots, when they drive they don't pay attention and when they walk they don't pay attention. They just think they have the right of way through life no matter what they are doing and that everyone else will look out for them. But regardless of having right a way or not, it is still smart to look both ways, cause it don't mean squat if you are dead. Maybe they could put that on the tombstone.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Missed the point

I wasn't disputing the right-of-way. I would have stopped one way or the other, as I always do. What bothered me is that they did not look. I never saw their eyes. Depending on the driver for your life and limb is not a good plan, especially since so many drivers are half-blinded by thier own cell phone.

In New Orleans the pedestrian does not have the right of way unless they are in a crosswalk with the traffic lights (if there are traffic lights) in thier favor. The legal expectation is that pedestrians will use reasonable care crossing the street. Jaywalking laws are not enforced but if you get hit in the middle of the block you have little chance of compensation, legal or civil. Same thing at corners with traffic lights. You are free to cross against the red light, but if you get smacked it's your fault. Native drivers and walkers are generally courteous and cautious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts