Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I read on the CCS board that you need the stock filter with the snorkel. I think I might have read that K&N (with snorkel) is OK but I'm not sure about that. They do have a habit of checking to. :-\

I wonder is pulling the breather hoses off would give the extra flow needed? Maybe if the airbox boots happened to be a little loose to ;D

·
Registered
480 Posts
there are aftermarket filters that are legal. a standard desnorkel job on a stock filter is not legal. it's all about the diameter of the inlet. it can't be larger than stock. kevin elliott confirmed for me that you can remove the snorkel, but under the inlet, so that you don't increase the diameter. in other words, you'd have to remove the snorkel in pieces but start a little bit below the inlet.

one other thing...i'm not advocating cheating in any way, but ccs will generally only check your airbox if you finish on the podium.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I *think* the problem there was that the "on track" winner, on a Buell XB9/12(?), had NO air filter at all. I believe it was an oversight by the rider/crew because he usually ran superbike classes without the filter. CCS always checks the filters in SS classes-top 3-5 finishers that is.

·
Registered
606 Posts
BMC or K&N are legal as long as the opening is the same. Both flow better than stock if cleaned and used dry without oil.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Omaha 1 said:
Dry? Won't that kill the filter then? Or is it still considered cleanable?
Dry flows more and stops much less, but to some in racing long engine life isn't as important as more power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think that I will take the lower air flow on my oiled filter. As an amatuer, I don't think the K&N oil is really making a difference in my speed. I'd rather have a longer lasting engine rather than being .005 faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts