Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a CB on their bike? I have a handheld one that I clip on my belt. And a headset in my helmet. Just wondering if anybody had an ingenious idea for mounting it elsewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yee Haw.  Dig the bobs cb page.  CB radios are fun, but probably not the best for a motorcycle.  FRS is a better option for radio communtications on a bike.  Check out something from chatter box or somewhere similar.

Here is why I dont think a CB would work.  Most CB radios are big, so where are you going to mount the thing on your motorcycle?  CB radios opperate at about 27MHz which means their antennas, to be any good have to be really long.  A quarter wave antenna for CB is 8 feet long, or it has a giant loading coil, or capacitance hat on it to electrically fool the radio signal into thinking its a real quarter wave.  You only get 4 watts output power with a CB, and amplitude modulation which means the nifty things like squelch on FM trancievers dont work so well.

Family radio service, or general mobile radio are a better way to go since they work at around 400MHz making their antennas quite a bit smaller.  They opperate with FM so squelches work.  And on GMRS you can have up to 5 watts of output power.

Even better would be to get an amateur radio license and opperate there.  And since more power is always cool, you will be happy to know that you are only limited to 1500 watts as an amateur opperator, and this can be done in the same frequency range.

Or, if you want something to stuff in the tail bag and take to some remote location to opperate and talk all over the world, check this out.

This is a 40meter (7MHz) radio running on a small gell cell battery, and a wire antenna that travels all coiled up untill you throw it into a tree.  The whole rig would fit in a tail bag with room to spare (use headphones instead of the speaker).  And I have made contacts across the country with it.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I disagree that CBs are no good for bikes. One of the groups I ride with uses CBs set to channel 5 for pack communication. I have a Cobra hand held that I clip to my jacket's waist belt. I have a lead under the passenger seat that I can plug in for power, and I have Moto Com's speakers in my helmet, push-to-talk switch by the clutch lever. It works fine, and one of the group can monitor 16 or 19. Range is more than adequate even for a stretched-out group of, say, 24 riders.

Using a portable you have nothing to steal on the bike. It walks away with you by pulling two small plugs.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I had a CB setup onetime, homemade headset, worked good, when I was running it in conjunction with a cobra radar detector, when my cobra crapped out and I replaced it with a Valentine, I ended up getting interference, I tried a bunch of recommended modifications, never could get it to work right in conjunction with my V-1, I just have to break down and get a motocom or autocom system,

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thermionic said:
Yee Haw.  Dig the bobs cb page.  CB radios are fun, but probably not the best for a motorcycle.  FRS is a better option for radio communtications on a bike.  Check out something from chatter box or somewhere similar.

Here is why I dont think a CB would work.  Most CB radios are big, so where are you going to mount the thing on your motorcycle?  CB radios opperate at about 27MHz which means their antennas, to be any good have to be really long.  A quarter wave antenna for CB is 8 feet long, or it has a giant loading coil, or capacitance hat on it to electrically fool the radio signal into thinking its a real quarter wave.  You only get 4 watts output power with a CB, and amplitude modulation which means the nifty things like squelch on FM trancievers dont work so well.

Family radio service, or general mobile radio are a better way to go since they work at around 400MHz making their antennas quite a bit smaller.  They opperate with FM so squelches work.  And on GMRS you can have up to 5 watts of output power.

Even better would be to get an amateur radio license and opperate there.  And since more power is always cool, you will be happy to know that you are only limited to 1500 watts as an amateur opperator, and this can be done in the same frequency range.

Or, if you want something to stuff in the tail bag and take to some remote location to opperate and talk all over the world, check this out.

This is a 40meter (7MHz) radio running on a small gell cell battery, and a wire antenna that travels all coiled up untill you throw it into a tree.  The whole rig would fit in a tail bag with room to spare (use headphones instead of the speaker).  And I have made contacts across the country with it.

1500 watts? Better strap a generator on the back seat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
PricklyPear said:
1500 watts?  Better strap a generator on the back seat.
and that is output power (to the antenna). Input power is about 1.5 to 2 times that :eek: . Good thing it is just the limit. And the little radio that I built, in the picture only has a 5 watt output.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts