Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The stock exhaust can on a 2nd gen does contain a cat. I believe it resides in the forward part right after the midpipe junction. Would be easier to just buy a slipon and be done with the whole can.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im cheap though....so im wondering how hard it would be to just pull it out.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
im cheap though....so im wondering how hard it would be to just pull it out.
not hard... cut open the end of the muffler, grind/cut/etc. then you'd need too find a way to close the end of the muffler again. Helps if you can weld, or rivet, or something...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Why would you want to remove just the cat? Barely affects the exhaust note on the stock can, and I doubt it has any real impact on performance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i have some airbox/emissions mods done so have to free up the other end a bit.

From previous experience with other bikes there is a small gain in top end. But that also usually comes with a miniscule drop in low end. I just want it to cruise at 100mph a little bit easier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it has in the past with other bikes. Probably lose some low end grunt though.

Have you personally ever tried this?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would be very surprised if you gained more than half a HP hacking up the stock silencer. Just sayin'.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the cat is actually in the pipe that connects to the silencer, and not in the silencer itself. Take the stock can off and take a look - if so you can just replace that elbow or whatever and be on your way.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
No, nor do I think it'd be worth the effort.
How would removing the cat help cruising at 100mph?
It stops the cat from pooping in the airbox. I mean, it's even in the owner's manual Dan...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts