Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone who has experience working with the +'17 Ohlins cartridge kit, or any other kits for that matter. Not really down with a fork swap as I want to keep the risers. Surely there's a thread on here that touches on this, please attach it if you know it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went the Andreani route on my '17 and installed myself. Another user and I talked about it in a thread somewhere as he had done the same install a few months before me. What're your questions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welp, I'd like to make the front end feel more secure in a nut-shell. I'm curious what kind of real life experiences come of these kits. What made you go the route you took? (Brand, spring, etc)
Were there any unforeseen complications?
Do you believe a cartridge is a substantial improvement over the emulators like holeshot sells?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Yes, cartridge forks are much better than emulators. Night and day. Just spend the money once, eh?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Ohlins carts are nice, and very easy to install.

The high speed compression valving is stiff however. So if you're looking for a plush ride on very bumpy roads (Los Angeles, Tucson, anywhere with crap road maintenance and frost or caliche) then you might want to plan for a re-valve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't spend much time at highway speed. And wouldn't mind a stiffer feel as it's very loose right now. My main complaint right now is hitting bumps in a 20-50 mph curve and the front feeling like, what i would call "slappy". I'm going to add holeshots fork brace and a set of cartridges and see how far that gets me.
Does anyone know if making the front so much stiffer will make the rear unstable?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Install is not a straight fwd bolt in. There will be permanent internal modifications when installing cartridges. Nothing you can't do yourself, but be prepared to cut and grind metal, hammer on parts and install new seals.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There will be permanent internal modifications when installing cartridges.
The Ohlins carts don't require that, they have an extension that seats in the same way as the stock damper rod.

OP: I didn't leave my '18 stock very long, but I seam to remember that feeling. The rebound is very under damped stock. You can try a cheap experiment and just change to 15 weight fork oil. It may not be the end all, but it will tell you if you're going in the correct direction. It will however make the compression damping on bumps more harsh.

If you're mainly commuting around town, I'd just go with emulators. I've tried AR-25s and now have the Ohlins carts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Ohlins carts don't require that, they have an extension that seats in the same way as the stock damper rod.

OP: I didn't leave my '18 stock very long, but I seam to remember that feeling. The rebound is very under damped stock. You can try a cheap experiment and just change to 15 weight fork oil. It may not be the end all, but it will tell you if you're going in the correct direction. It will however make the compression damping on bumps more harsh.

If you're mainly commuting around town, I'd just go with emulators. I've tried AR-25s and now have the Ohlins carts.
That's what I was hoping to hear about the ohlins. Their literature claims a drop-in install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What oil weight did you go with and how much do you weigh?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same for Andreani Misano (on a 3rd gen. SV, while on 2nd gen. some milling was required) and Mupo Caliber 22 cartridges.

I will go the Mupo route within a couple of months.
Tired of a too soft fork that doesn't work as desired after switching to aftermarket shock and braided lines.
Emulators require working with oil density and springs rating to adjust the setup, while a cartridge has all controls on top of them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I installed Andreani on a 3rd gen, they were not drop in. Had to cut out the reducer at the bottom of the tube for the cartridge to pass through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed Andreani on a 3rd gen, they were not drop in. Had to cut out the reducer at the bottom of the tube for the cartridge to pass through.
That, is an important piece to this decision making puzzle. Definitely chalk that one in the 'unforeseen complications' box. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same for Andreani Misano (on a 3rd gen. SV, while on 2nd gen. some milling was required) and Mupo Caliber 22 cartridges.

I will go the Mupo route within a couple of months.
Tired of a too soft fork that doesn't work as desired after switching to aftermarket shock and braided lines.
Emulators require working with oil density and springs rating to adjust the setup, while a cartridge has all controls on top of them.
Why mupo?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Because they are equivalent to Andreani but slightly cheaper.
Besides this, Mupo caliber 22 cartridge is a 22mm piston with a 12mm rod, while Andreani Misano is a 20mm piston with 10mm rod.
Mupo has compression and rebound registers click-adjustable, while Andreani has continuous adjustment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because they are equivalent to Andreani but slightly cheaper.
Besides this, Mupo caliber 22 cartridge is a 22mm piston with a 12mm rod, while Andreani Misano is a 20mm piston with 10mm rod.
Mupo has compression and rebound registers click-adjustable, while Andreani has continuous adjustment.
Where does ohlins stack against the other two?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't have any direct experience, but my understanding is that it rates a bit higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excellent! These are all great responses, thank you guys. I have all but made up my mind on going with the Ohlins Cartridge kit and a 5 piece shock brace from Holeshot-Performance. Wish me luck! Lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm about 180-190. Oil weight won't be a factor you really need to consider if you've already decided to go with the cartridges. I used belray HVI 5w, but only because I could get it quicker than the Ohlins R&T oil.

Stupid heavy oil is only a thing because of the leaky rebound check valves in the stock fork.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts