Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very close call today coming home from work today at an intersection. At a red light, I'm first in a left turn lane coming out of a parking garage. There are 2 left turn lanes. A truck is to my right in the other left turn lane next to me. The green left arrows come on and the truck pulls out first. I hear the truck honk the horn and see that a car coming from the left side almost hits the truck. Truck then pulls out left and I start pulling out. I stalled the bike restarted it and started pulling out. I look left and see another car coming from the left. This second car also runs the red light after the truck pulls out and before I pull out. I was maybe 15 feet behind the trucks rear bumper. This second car missed my front tire by maybe 2 or 3 feet. If I didn't see the car or maybe even if I didn't stall the motor, I might have pulled out in front of that car and be smashed. I live in Las Vegas and have been if many close calls but this one was the scariest. Please look both ways even if you have the green light.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Not surprising. This is getting to be all to common throughout the country. That's why there's such a push to put up all those red light cameras everywhere.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think the red light cameras are for revenue generation, they don't stop anyone from doing anything, they just charge them for it.

I always check intersections for red light runners before I proceed. I don't trust people.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's rampant everywhere...
4 way stops no better... last year watch someone fly through one I was approaching.
They never slowed or looked to the sides, focused straight ahead.. glad I was far enough back to just observe.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I think the red light cameras are for revenue generation, they don't stop anyone from doing anything, they just charge them for it.

I always check intersections for red light runners before I proceed. I don't trust people.
They work. I ride through an intersection that has them and the difference with them and with out is night and day. They don't stop everyone, there is always some idiot on the road who doesn't think he/she has to share with any one. But the cameras keep people honest.

Regardless if you think it is for revenue or safety, they wouldn't put it up if there were not so many people willing to ignore the law and run the lights red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts