Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to drill and tap the shifter arm and screw in the appropriate bolt. Will likely allow for a nut on the back.
There's not much metal there and I was wondering what the best size bolt to use.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Re: "Carriage bolt" shifter repair - anyone know the best size of bolt to use?

Novadesigns said:
I think I used a 2 1/2" x 5/8" bolt.
5/8" ? or head size that takes a 5/8 hex wrench ?

how about a 70mm x 6mm or 8mm allen bolt, at least keep it metric, unless you doing it on a harley

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Unfortunately I don't recall the size and dimensions of the bolt I put on over a year and a half ago and am still using today for a shift lever. It was just something I had in the garage that looked about right so I drilled out the shift lever arm a tad, threaded the bolt into a nut on both the inside and outside of the shift lever arm, tightened the assembly up, and cut off the head. Then I taped up the whole bolt/lever with athletic tape, melted beeswax onto it, and voila, $.25 shift lever...

·
Registered
935 Posts

I think I used a 1/4 inch bolt. Drilled the shifter all the way through, put lock washers on it (to gimme some diameter) and put the nylock nut on the end. Then I slid over a piece of heat shrink tubing. Bam!

·
Registered
16 Posts

The bolt to use isn't a carrage bolt, it's a shoulder bolt. I used a 1/4"-20 works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts

Roddyrude said:
The bolt to use isn't a carrage bolt, it's a shoulder bolt. I used a 1/4"-20 works like a charm.
i agree, might be harder to find tho, a 1/4 shoulder bolt uses a 10-24 thread, a 5/16 uses a 1/4-20

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

It's a japanese bike, you should use metric :) I used an M8x40mm socket-head bolt... It's the perfect size since the original rubber slides over it just right, and the socket cap means it looks like it's supposed to look that way, instead of being a bodge. M8 gives a good size hole for the thread as well, so it'll hold just with threadlock- no need for nuts.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts

Northwind said:
It's a japanese bike, you should use metric :) I used an M8x40mm socket-head bolt... It's the perfect size since the original rubber slides over it just right, and the socket cap means it looks like it's supposed to look that way, instead of being a bodge. M8 gives a good size hole for the thread as well, so it'll hold just with threadlock- no need for nuts.
why metric, standard bolts and taps are easier to find here plus the shoulder bolt does have a socket head on it, too, if it was britich whould you use whitworth bolts?? ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

i foudn that steel concrete anchors the kind that slide in a hole and then you screw the bolt in to spread them open work good. looks just like a metal shifter knob. some thing like this
it has a bolt that goes in one side and the space between where the bolt head is and the expanding thingy starts is about the width of the shifter arm. dunno where you would buy one i'd asume any home depot type place. i just get them from my job.

·
Registered
935 Posts

B.a. said:
i foudn that steel concrete anchors the kind that slide in a hole and then you screw the bolt in to spread them open work good. looks just like a metal shifter knob. some thing like this
it has a bolt that goes in one side and the space between where the bolt head is and the expanding thingy starts is about the width of the shifter arm. dunno where you would buy one i'd asume any home depot type place. i just get them from my job.
Does security know your stealing them? :eek: :p ;D

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts

If you wreck good enough you dont even need to drill a hole, the shift rod just pushes through the arm, instant hole! Easiest fix, ever.

·
Registered
935 Posts

They should spring load em like the dirtbikes that I so frequently crash on.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

It was a joke, ah said a joke, boy...

It must be a pain in the ass for you guys if metric bolts are harder to find than imperial though, since most bikes are metric... How about tools? The rest of the world's been metric for years. you know, and standardised metric at that. So if it was British, I'd use metric, same as I would with a japanese, french, german, korean, swedish, austrian, italian, chinese, or welsh.  Well, maybe not welsh, I think they'd have to build it out of coal and sheepgut.

Shoulder bolt would look good...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

That Guy said:
Does security know your stealing them? :eek: :p ;D
lets just say i'm down with those in the know.   ;D

nah i'm kool wih all the maintenance guys all i gotta do is ask.  thats how i got my resistor for my tr mod.  by the way any buddy know what colors its supposed to be i got a 15 150 15k ohm resistor and no clue which is which  ;D

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts

Northwind said:

It must be a pain in the ass for you guys if metric bolts are harder to find than imperial though, since most bikes are metric... How about tools? The rest of the world's been metric for years. you know, and standardised metric at that. So if it was British, I'd use metric, same as I would with a japanese, french, german, korean, swedish, austrian, italian, chinese, or welsh.  Well, maybe not welsh, I think they'd have to build it out of coal and sheepgut.

wreches are easy to find, bolts expecially stainless are a PITA

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

Northwind said:

I don't know what those guys are talking about, almost every hardware store near me carries stainless metric bolts, all my vehicles I own are imports and I don't own anything but metric tools, metric stuff is not had to find in the US, and I say that living in the stix

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for the responses (at least most of them)

I plan to use a ss metric bolt with a nut on both sides as previously described. I'll figure out a way to use the original rubber peg cover.

Some of the sizes suggested seem way too large for the amount of metal left (the "peg" part broke off cleanly). I don't recall how big metric M8 is, but I'm thinking more like the equivalent of a #8 bolt. Anyway, I'll take the shifter with me and eyeball it. I need to get the appropriate size tap and a tap wrench at the same time.

This is my second broken shifter peg. I was too picky to jury-rig it the first time but I can't keep buying shifter assemblies - at least at the rate I'm going through them :p

·
Registered
4,244 Posts

wee twin said:
I don't recall how big metric M8 is, but I'm thinking more like the equivalent of a #8 bolt.
Just take a look at your swingarm. The holes for mounting stand spools are M8.

I don't know the size of the bolt I used, because it was a bolt the previous owner used for the brake lever he broke off. I replaced the brake lever, then proceeded to break off my shifter peg. Easy fix. I've been using it for almost 4 years now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts