Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and baught a cargo net for my 05 SV650 this weekend. And I can't figure out how to attatch the damn thing.

How do you guys tote cargo?

I can barely fit a box condoms under the rear seat. They are the Mr. Ed edition magnums....but still :wink:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
tank bag-- every day, never leave the garage without it

tail bag-- any day (every day) I go further than 2 miles; I keep tools, raingear, spare parts in it...

saddle bag-- camping, multiday trips which require extra clothing

bungee (cargo) net additonal space for clothing, etc on top of the tail bag if I'm too lazy to put the saddlebags on...

Some guys don't like tank bags because it interferes with view of the gauges, reach to the bars, doesn't look cool, etc. My tank bag is high enough to rest my chin on if it's fully packed and it still isn't in the way...

HTH

[edit: I also occasionally use a back pack to carry my laptop...]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
take the rear seat off, lay the bungee net on the ground, put whatever you want to carry on the net, then put the seat on top of the, but upside down. hook the bungee hooks under the seat, and reconnect the seat

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
On the stock grab bar (if you still have it) it has little posts. I took those off and added a larger diameter washer between the bolt and the spacer and reinstalled. Now I can hook my net there and it won't slip off and then I hook it down at the hooks on the passenger pegs. That way it's stretched tight and I haven't lost anything yet, lol.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I took the hooks off of my bungee net (to avoid any chance of scratching). I put what I want on the seat, take the two end sections of the net and hook them around the posts under the grab bar and stretch the other side to the other end of the seat and hook it under the seat. When that's secure, I wrap the sides up under the seat (on a plastic peg under the rear seat I think, haven't looked, it's there though) and I'm off.

I like stranger's idea too though... sounds a little quicker than my way. I've carried everything from a gallon of milk to an EXTRA helmet to a laptop bag my way with no problems.

·
Registered
476 Posts
took me a year to figure out how to use mine, but as stated above, remove all the stupid hooks from your net. they won't attach anywhere useful.

hook to two posts on grab rail and two posts underneath passenger seat.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Mine has three hooks on two sides, I hook three under the front of the rear seat, pull the slack through the grab bar and come over the top and hook it to itself.

·
Registered
313 Posts
attaching the cargo net is easy if you have the OEM fender eliminator kit (license plate bracket).

cargo net hooks on to the passenger footpegs, and the upper corners of the rear fender.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hmmm, I didn't realize you could remove the hooks... :p

The way I did it was to have the seat there, but not "clicked" down fully. My cargo net has 6 hooks; the two at the rear went around the cargo posts underneath the grab bar, and the other four hook perfectly around the edges of the seat. Click down, and done.

I will remove the hooks, cuz if the rubber pieces on the hanger ends fall off .... :ugh:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I went to SVRider's Tips & Tricks page ;D
http://www.svrider.com/tips/cargo_net.htm

I use it daily to hold/carry my half-bike cover when I park in the sun
I use it occasionally to carry something as heavy as a XL helmet or as much as a pair of work/bball shoes. For heavier or "slippery" items, I use those grip-pads (traction pads?) like these from household/kitchen or bath department in WalMart:
http://www.amazon.com/Grid-Non-Slip-Rug-Pad-12/dp/B0030EPW74
(of course, not the size of a rug, just enough to fit on the pillion)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
take the rear seat off, lay the bungee net on the ground, put whatever you want to carry on the net, then put the seat on top of the, but upside down. hook the bungee hooks under the seat, and reconnect the seat
Easiest way to do it, especially if you dont have the stock fender. Kind of wishing I installed the OEM smaller fender than a custom one. Makes it a little more interesting with no proper place to hook the bungees.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I always leave the hooks on my bungee nets, don't always use them

in the back, I usually loop the corners over my turn signal stalks, in front I hook to the pillon peg

also, I always double net, cargo is more secure and moves less, and use 2 different colored nets, easier to untangle them

bungee nets are cheap enuf, I usually have 2-4 stored in my saddlebags, I replace them as they get stretched

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hehe, came here looking for other ideas to secure a cargo net. I've been putting my 2nd bag on the pillion seat, and orient the net so it's got the 3 hooks to each side of the bike. Front two hooks go on the rear peg frame, 2 hooks go in the bottom holes of my license plate. Takes a lot of stretching and destroys the bungee net over time but man is it tight. A new bungee net is $5.

Might try the thing with just tying it below the seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts