Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through this forum, and noticed a lot of posts by people that are new to riding. And it hit me-- there are rules that i break on a daily basis... Following too closely is my biggest one. Yesterday i was riding through some heavy traffic and not paying enough attention, and following WAY too close to a truck. next thing i realize is im a few inches off his bumper cuz he slammed the brakes... i locked the front brake up (another stupid noob mistake) and started to go down. I dont know how it happened, but i jammed my left leg down and released the brakes. The bike shot straight up and i instantly felt some of the most intense pain i've ever had shoot from my knee all the way up and down my leg. I had to pull over into a parking lot and wait for myself to calm down and for the pain to stop so i could shift. I thought it was broken. And as i sat there, it occured to me that i forgot the basics, and thats why my dumb ass was sniveling on the asphault. So, I thought i'd come clean and admit this whole thing. I dont think i'm the only one (i hope im not) so if there are rules that you break, no matter how simple, post em up to try and help the new people, and the guys that have ridden for a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
occaisional early apex line in a corner then tf when swinging wide.  this mostly happens when I've been comitting another fault and day dreaming while riding.  just an example of how things can snow-ball quickly when on two wheels if you are not always "there" when riding.  Be in the moment and planning for the next moment at all times.  Think defensively, ride offensively.

·
Registered
622 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
A broken leg is better than a wrecked SV, right?   :)
Always remember "The Body heals Bike parts Do not. Protect your Bike go down on your your skin!" ;D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Following too close is my main problem as well. My one crash could have been avoided by more stopping space, although sometimes in heavy traffic it's hard; people will just move into whatever space you leave. Still, better to let them in than to end up on the ground.

Watch that leg. There are all sorts of joint problems that it could be that aren't a broken bone. Like Big T said, it could be your ACL, or the maniscus, or any number of other little ligaments or pieces of tissue. If you've got insurence, it's worth having a doctor look at it. I've got two bad knees, so I've been through all of this a couple times before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Braking in a curve.

I went into a curve kinda hot and got scared, hit the brakes and screwed the bike up pretty bad. Do not do this!!! I've had the pegs scrape before on my SVS, so I probably could have made the turn but made a bad call.

Lesson you can learn from this:
Don't brake in a curve, just push-steer harder and you'll be fine.

G

·
03-SV650RR said:
Lesson you can learn from this:
Don't brake in a curve, just push-steer harder and you'll be fine.
Discussing in another thread.
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=48101.msg518329#msg518329

The gist of it is that braking in a curve is to be avoided, but that there is the possibility it might be required, so it can't hurt to practice it. I would say limiting your options with a rule that says 'never do this' could leave you with in a situation where you have no tool to use to escape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was thinking about this same thing the other day while riding.  I have noticed that lately when approaching a yellow or red light I will down shift (or up shift) to Neutral take my hands off the grips and coast up to the light sitting upright using my rear brake to slow.  Nothing bad has ever happened to me doing this but when I think about it with no way to swerve or accelerate quickly, man I really am putting myself at a BIG disadvantage for survival.

I think I will stop that before it becomes a bigger habit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ask myself after every ride, what could I have done better? I remind myself before every ride of the things I have done wrong. THis seems to make me a better rider every day.

BTW, I have lived through an ACL reconstruction and I had a better time being shot by an arrow - don't ask how I know.
If you have any questions about ACL reconstruction feel free to PM me anytime.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its not torn, just effed up... BTW your dog looks exactly like mine. Everytime i see it i think ..."FERGUS!"

·
Registered
370 Posts
*Always assume cages don't see you*

I was riding to work one morning and passing through a flashing yellow light. There was a jeep waiting to turn left. The lady waited till i was aprox. 10 to 15 ft from her and turn in front of me, then saw me and panic. So she stops directly in front of me. Nowhere to turn but into oncoming traffic. I was traveling about 30 to 40 mph. So i just slammed the brakes and waited for impact. I laided the bike down and managed to get away from the bike. The bike ended up jamming under her front end and i slammed into her grill and bumper. Luckily i had all my gear on and i walked away just sore and some road rash on my hands (burned through my leather gloves). I had to trailer my bike home though. It was my beater bike not my SV.

G

·
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
  One time...when I just started riding, I target fixated on a tree accelerated into a tree.

Damned if I wasn't wearing any gear either.
Was that your red sv? :p

Here come the links....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts