Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeat question. (thought I saw the thread once but can't find it again).

I've had an '02 (carb) that was pretty easy for DIYs. Rejetting I didn't touch but overall maintenance and getting access to parts - much easier than my friend's ninja.

FI - dealership salesman said he gets almost 60 mph and swears by it over carburetors models.

I'm curious as to what the experienced owners have to say (esp. the ones who've had both) about maintenance issues and if it's worth me saving up to switch to FI or keep the carb model.

*I think I prefer the rounded frame of the older models though (for looks).

J

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat question. (thought I saw the thread once but can't find it again).

I've had an '02 (carb) that was pretty easy for DIYs. Rejetting I didn't touch but overall maintenance and getting access to parts - much easier than my friend's ninja.

FI - dealership salesman said he gets almost 60 mph and swears by it over carburetors models.

I'm curious as to what the experienced owners have to say (esp. the ones who've had both) about maintenance issues and if it's worth me saving up to switch to FI or keep the carb model.

*I think I prefer the rounded frame of the older models though (for looks).

J
WOW
you better post it in "how fast have you ridden your SV" thread!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not a huge difference in mpg like dealer stated, but more convienence. No messing with the choke, start up and walk away. Some like carburators better, some don't.......it's personal opinion, but mpg, power etc is not much difference.

Not like your dealer told you

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
bravo pecha, bravo!

overall i think fuel injection is just easier and more user friendly. pretty much just comes down to personal preference really.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a carburetor bike last year, this year I have SV with fuel injection.

I would go fuel injection any day. It has nothing to do with MPG and has everything to do with the **** choke you need to adjust with carburetor. My SV starts up no problems, wait a few seconds to warm up, then go.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Touring in California where you could be at sea level on the coast in the morning and at 7-8000' ASL by afternoon in the Sierras?

I'll take the EFI any day and twice on Sunday!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I haven't worked on a bike with fuel injection, but it drives me crazy that it takes me a fraction of time for me to remove the fuel injectors and intake manifold in my Corvette than it does to pull the carbs on my bike. That, and fuel injection totally makes sense to me. Tuning both is something I probably wouldn't do well....actually, on my Corvette I found that no matter which way I adjust the tables I get less horsepower, even when returning to stock settings. I must be cursed when it comes to tuning.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Carbs are very simple, but do require more maint.

EFI is realiable, but a bit complicated. Anymore, most EFI will basically diagnose itself, but fixing it sometimes demands a bit more electrical know-how.

I don't mind the choke myself, not that big of a deal. Unless the weather is cold I almost never need it anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good feedback... as for the salesman... well, guess he's more interested in selling than he is in selling it with integrity.

Carbs - I actually like working on my old '02... Since i'm in the marketing for a new/used bike... the debate (in my head and wallet) is:
A) get a project bike for cheap
B) get a new bike to just ride and not worry about maintenance for a while

Time to play the lotto...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts