Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....just installed some tricked out stick-on carbon fiber accessories from Suzuki. Thought I'd write up a how to on the process. I had bought the carbon fiber top crown trim and the fuel cap trim. I have ordered the tank protector but it is not in yet =( Ok....here we go:

1. Prep the areas where the carbon fiber will go with a good solvent such as 3M tar and wax remover. This can be bought at any auto parts store. Ask for 3M #33 as this is the only remover that will work! Make sure to get all the dirt and grime off as this stage is very critical to the adhesion of the carbon fiber. You may want to go over the area again with some 70% rubbing alcohol just to get any left over residue off.

2. Get your self a nice small scale and some .25" light duty masking tape. Position the carbon fiber trim on the area to test fit. Take your scale and mark the sides, top, and bottom so they all measure out the same. Your measurments may vary...for the crown trim I came up with .015" on the sides and .010" for the top and bottom. For the fuel cap I used the outer circumfrence minus .0015" You don't want your piece to be off center! Mark these measurments with pieces of masking tape. Stand back and look to see if it is perfect. If not keep trying until you are satisified with the results. This may take several attempts!

3. Next get yourself a heat gun (something hotter than a hair dryer!) I found a good Snap-On heat gun to work for this but it was pricey! You may opt for a Craftsman which is considerbly cheaper. Heat the areas where your carbon fiber will be applied to warm the surfaces. Make sure to use a good qaulity heat probe to probe the surfaces to the 70 degree application temperature! Once the surfaces reach 70 degrees carefully remove the backing of the trim being careful not to touch it as your skin oils will have adverse effects on the adhesive. Take your heat gun at a distance of 6.75" and slowly but carefully heat the adhesive for 5.3 seconds.

4. Carefully lay the carbon fiber in place so it will line up with your masking tape marks. Quickly press the trim into place with pressure. I found a small application roller to work good at this. Pull your masking tape off. Let bike sit 24 hours or at least over nite to ensure proper curing time.

5. Grab yourself a nice cold beer and pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
6.75 inches and 5.3 seconds ...

That is way too complex for these old palsied hands ... ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great writeup man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys....glad I could help. I'll post some more how to's on a tank bra and anodized valve stem caps as soon as they come in. May call off work one day this week to do them!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Jacques said:
That was big help - we're lucky to have you around for these tough mods
I don't think that kid understand ur sarcasm.... maybe you could quit while you're ahead??

When I saw the title, I really hoped it was an "how -to lay real carbon fiber and resin.

Q

·
Registered
482 Posts
Can I just use Rotella to apply the CF??? Which exhaust do you have to have for the Carbon Fiber to stay firmly put in place on your tree and tank?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
QfactorSV said:
When I saw the title, I really hoped it was an "how -to lay real carbon fiber and resin.
Same here.
First off, good job! A good writeup for those that have no idea how to put on what is, in all reality, a sticker.
Honestly though- to those reading it and wanting to do this mod- you dont need the heat probe and you can just guess at distances and times... this mod doesnt need to get that technical with it, it is, afterall, just a sticker.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if the first post was serious or sarcastic....

·
Registered
571 Posts
i got a question on this step.

4. Carefully lay the carbon fiber in place so it will line up with your masking tape marks. Quickly press the trim into place with pressure. I found a small application roller to work good at this. Pull your masking tape off. Let bike sit 24 hours or at least over nite to ensure proper curing time.

how exactly would i press the trim into place without pressure. would my telekinetic powers be sufficient? ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
schultzboy said:
i got a question on this step.

4. Carefully lay the carbon fiber in place so it will line up with your masking tape marks.  Quickly press the trim into place with pressure. I found a small application roller to work good at this. Pull your masking tape off. Let bike sit 24 hours or at least over nite to ensure proper curing time.

how exactly would i press the trim into place without pressure. would my telekinetic powers be sufficient? ;)
I think he means to press it down with your fingers so it sticks solidly, and while the surface area is still hot. Once its on, you can continue with the actual roller.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys...I can't stress enough how important it is to probe the surface with a good quality heat probe. As per the instructions it says you must apply to a surface at 70 degrees. . Don't cheap out now after you have already spent good money on the carbon fiber! Craftsman makes a nice multimeter with heat probe for only 40 bucks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
crotchrocketfan said:
Guys...I can't stress enough how important it is to probe the surface with a good quality heat probe. As per the instructions it says you must apply to a surface at 70 degrees. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D . Don't cheap out now after you have already spent good money on the carbon fiber! Craftsman makes a nice multimeter with heat probe for only 40 bucks.
Haahaaahaahaaaa.... So how much hp do you gain from this mod? Will the bike sound any louder? Can I double the resale value of the sv? What's the difference b/t carbon fiber for an I4 versus Carbon Fiber for a V-Twin?

·
Registered
156 Posts
blacktape said:
are we going to see some photos???
ok, here is a photo: http://mcpro.com/sv650/DCP_1203.JPG
please excuse the low quality, as the flash really hid the beauty of the carbon fiber.

I just wanted to say that crotchrocketfan's howto really glided me through the whole process.  I did end up going with the top of the line snap-on heat gun and heat probe.  I strongly reccommend this to anyone doing this mod.  Also, your measurements were dead-on. Thanks again, and keep the great info coming.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I put a faux CF tank pad on my ninja.

This can be a very tricky install, and if you don't do the install correctly can have very serious repercussions. To do this install the right way you must first make sure that it is 2:43 pm on the second Sunday following the Solar Eclipse. Having selected the correct day to start I then ran the flux capacitor up to optimal heat in cycles of exactly 13.98 seconds. This is very important that you do it exactly this way.

Then, slather the entire bike in shell rotella oil. It's important that you do not merely dab or even sprinkle the bike in the oil but rather a thorough slathering is in order. Do not use oils with friction modifiers or it will not only overlode the flux capacitor but cause the muffler bearings to loosen in their housings. Unfortunately this causes the high tech fake CF tank pad not only to be misaligned with the center of gravity of my bike by .05nm , but will also cause the pad to undergo a partial phasal shift in the space/time continuum leaving part of the pad in another dimension(presumably a dimension where adding stickers is a big deal and actually affects performance.)

Done right, this important mod will cause your bike to be incredibly unique and all the fly chicks in the whole world will be impressed and want to have sex with you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts