Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
What's wrong with your bike?

"Upgrading" to carburetors will not end up being less of a hassle than properly repairing whatever is wrong with it now.

A wise man once told me, "If it's not easier in the long run.....it's not easier".

Long story short:

If all of the bits to do the conversion were dropped in your lap, and all of those bits were properly tuned for your application, then it might be worthwhile....just for the fun of it.

But that ain't gonna happen.

(Not a carb-hater, by the way. I love carburetors. I just want you to have realistic expectations about how this will go....)

;)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I've never had my carbs junk up, even after the bike sitting for 2mos without being ridden. starts up everytime.

It'd be a cool project though!

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's wrong with your bike?

"Upgrading" to carburetors will not end up being less of a hassle than properly repairing whatever is wrong with it now.

A wise man once told me, "If it's not easier in the long run.....it's not easier".

Long story short:

If all of the bits to do the conversion were dropped in your lap, and all of those bits were properly tuned for your application, then it might be worthwhile....just for the fun of it.

But that ain't gonna happen.

(Not a carb-hater, by the way. I love carburetors. I just want you to have realistic expectations about how this will go....)

;)
But, it could be done, right? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't see why not.
My 1G was great and I miss the carbs. Smoother than the FI.
I'd think you would need to swap out the ECU too, not just the TB's.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i saw a first gen bike with a second gen motor in it. i would assume it's easier to upgrade to carbs than to upgrade to f.i.

i would assume that if you by a complete first gen motor, wiring harness, ecu, etc., it would ease the transistion. and you could sell your 2nd gen motor to help fund it.

psst, fcr carbs would be a trick add-on.

i just don't know what other parts were changed from carb'd to fi. but i'm assuming it would be easier with at least heads off a carb'd model. but like i said, it's possible that they're the same as well.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yea Mike I would just stick with FI. I have never really had a problem with my carbs either. There was only 1 time and it sat for like 6 months. Cleaned them and runs like new. BUT it would most likely cost more to Carb your bike than it would to just fix your FI system.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Stay with your injectors.
I have to agree. It will not be easier to swap. Not only do you have the expense of the carbs, but you will "potentially" have the following issues to deal with: fuel pressure issues, air intake issues, ECU/wiring harness issues, vacuum issues, cam/timing issues...it really wouldn't be worth it in the long run. A fuel injected engine is just not simply a carbed engined with throttle bodies tossed on in place of carbs.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Some people here have been throwing around a term that doesn't make sense...

"upgrade to carbs"

see what I mean?
;D:nana:;D

·
Registered
60 Posts
technology moves forwards not backwards

ok occasionally some stupid ideas get thrown in but are later rejected

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
So Mike, I take it that your original guess was that your whole fuel injection system is posessed by some sort of demon. Now that you've got it all figured out, I anticipate it you will be rubbing it in our faces as promised.
Good luck with the exorcism.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.