Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im talking to a guy right now about buying a 2001 sv650. Apparently he says he left it in the garage for about 6 months with a full tank of gas and the carb and throttle are gummed up. He estimated it at a $300 fix should I consider the buy he only wants $3000. I'm a newbie and would prefer buying something that was in running shape but I'm looking to buy used and I can't be too choosy. Please give me some pointers or advice. Thanks in advance.

G

·
$3k is reasonable for a running bike in decent condition. A non-runner (for whatever reason is claimed) is worth considerably less. For example, if the carbs are gummed up, maybe the tank is rusty, maybe the ignition is kaput, maybe crank is sheared...unlikely, but unless it runs you have no way to tell.

If it's been sitting for any amount of time I would figure on a minimum of $200 to get the carbs right again, plus $50 for a new battery and possibly $300 for new tires if the old ones have degraded.

$2500 max if you fix it, or $3-3500 if he fixes it.

:)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
$3K for a 2001 SV that don't run is a rip-off. i'd definitely go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
ridesideways said:
$3K for a 2001 SV that don't run is a rip-off.  i'd definitely go somewhere else.
+1
If it doesn't run then you have only his word that it's "just the carbs". What if you get it running and find out that there's a real problem.

I'd pay ~$2,200 for it but I'm also cheap.
A decent set of used carbs sell on Ebay for ~$50 and are relatively easy to swap (1/2 hour for a decent mechanic).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I think I'll offer him $2300 and see what he says. The bike only has 1000 miles on it I'm going to go see it this week I'll report back and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the 02 (not 01) SV650 this weekend. Just with new gas and some fuel injector/carb cleaner additive to the tank it already sounds 300% better. I rode it around my subdivision for about 30 minutes yesterday. I'm taking the bike to the shop to get oil changed, Coolant flushed and changed, Brake fluid flushed and changed and all around inspected. I got a quote for $250 for that, and the guy at the shop told me if the Carbs need to be done that he can do that for $225. Should I pay him to do the carbs or do them myself? I was going to let him tell me what he thought after having the bike in the shop (not happening until Saturday). Would it be that hard to take them off soak them and put them back together? I've worked on my jeep a little, but I'm new to bikes. And I've never done anything to a carb before. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I see carbs getting worked on everyday and while it's not brain surgery, it can be extremely intimidating if you are not familiar with them. I personally have very little experience with actually working on them and I understand what they do, but all the little bits and pieces are incredible.

If you are not depending on the bike as your main transportation and are ok with doing your own work, then I say try it. If you are paying someone to change your fluids though, it may be more of an undertaking than you are ready for. It's not as easy as soaking them and putting them back on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I'm paying someone to do the fluids and such is mainly for peice of mind. I just want a trained mechanic to really look over the bike and make sure that things are working the way they should. I'm sure that he is going to know what to look for, stuff that I don't know anything about. After the initial service I will try to do everything that I can.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just do everything yourself ... you'll be saving $475 - cost of material. Working on bikes is a snap compared to cars. As for the carbs, there's a guide floating around on the internet that will tell you exactly what to do. Just take them out and apart and have a look. If it's just been 6 months, it won't be all gummed up ... just spray some carb cleaner in them and it should be fine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone has a link to those instructions let me know. I already cancelled the service and I have the whole weekned free to dabble on the bike. Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. ;D

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Instructions for what?
What work are you planning to do to the bike?

Do a search and download the service manual.

·
Registered
290 Posts
athflying79 said:
I see carbs getting worked on everyday and while it's not brain surgery, it can be extremely intimidating if you are not familiar with them. I personally have very little experience with actually working on them and I understand what they do, but all the little bits and pieces are incredible.
Chase,

While I agree, it is not brain surgery, it is intimidating.

Here are my suggestions--Do the coolant, oil etc. yourself. Much easier than carbs and get the shop to maybe do the carbs.

I'll tell what i did. I bought a set of carbs for $50 bucks and chalked it up to insurance. They were all gummed up and I cleaned them, took them apart and went through the "learning curve" with them, and the last set of carb parts I bought for another bike was over that($65 for a freaking diaphram) alone, I thought it was good investment.

I plan on doing "catpoopman's" jet job this weekend. If all goes well let me know and I will send you My "learner's carbs " It is a great peice of mind.

G

·
The SV650 carbs are among the easiest to work on.

Raise the tank, pull the air box, and there they are. A screwdriver and two screws away from pulling them off the intakes. Especially if all you do is clean them it is easy.

Do it yourself.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I made an appointment and it is going to the shop tomorrow morning. (just in time to get some good weather, its been reaining all week) I should get it back on monday afternoon. It was also lowered with a suspension link. The orginal owner gave me the stock links. Should I have the shop do this as well while its there or is this easy enough for me to do. I don't have a rear stand or a lift of any kind.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I took it in this morning. The service guys was pretty helpful. He said that the rust in the tank is going to cause some problems if we don't take care of that while they clean and sync the carbs. So it got a little more expensive. So it looks like a tank flush and carb cleaning/rebuild/sync and I think I'm going to put some Nuetralizer in the tank for the rust. Has anyone had any experience with the rust in the tank. He mentioned I might think about trying to find a new tank on ebay or something, or clean and seal it. He said that both would be about the same $$$. If my tank is perfect on the outside is it worth it to clean and re-seal, or should I try to find a new tank, or should I not worry about it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try & fix what you've got unless it is really badly corroded. It's a bit easier than trying to find a tank that is externally perfect and colour matched.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
tank sealer kit costs ~$80 and takes a day or so to do... it's not difficult just time consuming. You *Need* the kit with the rust remover (like Kreem 3 step kit).

If your carbs aren't done yet I have a mint set for sale.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks but it is still at the shop. I will have to look for that kit. Thanks alot. I'm going to change the oil, and flush/replace the coolant this weekend. Are there any other things I should do to a practically new bike that has been sitting for about a year? I was thinking maybe sparkplugs and brake fluid. I kind of want to start at the beginning so I know what is done and when it was done. But let me know if you don't think that is neccessary.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts