Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I’m having a carburetor issue on my first gen. No fuel is getting into the rear Float bowl. Dryer than a bone inside. The coned nozzle has no visible damage and I soaked it last night in simple green along with both jets. The lines leading to it are good. I’m scratching my head now. Any thoughts or input you guys might have for me would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99.9% I just had it all apart again. So most of the gas drained from the carbs. Then I put it together tried to start it and right now pulling it back apart there’s gas in the line again leading from the filter to the carbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she’s getting fuel into both intake manifolds now but still won’t fire. Engine cranks, spark is good

·
Registered
47 Posts
Possible it's flooded?

I might hit with some starter fluid and see if it catches?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
If that works, and it still doesn't start with normal ignition - try bump starting it and see if that allows it to fire up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let me know if any of those work. Not sure what else I'd offer but we'll see

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump start was unsuccessful. She tried to run but after maybe one and a half seconds it cut off

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's encouraging. I might park it for afternoon and give it shot tomorrow. Might be flooded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok that’s what I’ll do. Not much more I can do at this point. My two week wait for the shop is almost up so if I don’t get it figured out by the 7th Im going to have to just let the pros take a look lol

·
Registered
886 Posts
Check that the fuel cap and its breather system are clear and not creating a partial vacuum in the tank. Try a separate fuel bottle as a test?

Also test the fuel pump. Place a rag after the fuel pump with the pipe off and crank the bike a couple of times?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man. I’ll be tinkering with it all day everyday till I can get it in a shop. Any and all ideas are welcome lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s my first bike, bought over a month ago and still haven’t been able to ride it. Had a bent valve so I replaced the rear cylinder head. Made it down to the end of my road, ran out of gas and haven’t been able get it running since :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Another couple of things to watch out for with these types of carbs are the float needle valves sticking in the orifice and a clogged Valve Assembly/filter,

Parts number 28 on here,

Also incorrect Float heights(See manual for correct settings). If these are faulty or out they can cause fuel starvation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check that the fuel cap and its breather system are clear and not creating a partial vacuum in the tank. Try a separate fuel bottle as a test?

Also test the fuel pump. Place a rag after the fuel pump with the pipe off and crank the bike a couple of times?
My son's 2002 sv650 had a problem with the front carb not getting fuel. It was a clogged fuel inlet screen located under the floaat needle seat. I removed the the float and needle, then removed the small screw that holds the float needle seat in palce and took a pair of needel nosed pliers and removed the seat. i then squirted in some carb cleaner through, and then blew ot out with compressed air. Worked fine after that.. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts